On my way to the grocery today, I saw a little girl (about 8 or 9) get hit by one, maybe two cars. I was third back from the scene of the accident, and not really paying attention to anything but the stoplight ahead of me when I saw the flash of her mint green coat as she was hit.

I think she was trying to cross the street. I know the light was green, so she shouldn't have been crossing (or maybe she had dropped something; I don't know.) All I saw was her almost get to the other side, and then turn back and bend down, and then this purple car smacks into her and DRIVES AWAY!!! They had to know they hit her! So the lady in the other lane (and I'm not sure she hit her or just witnessed it, that's why I said I wasn't sure how many cars actually hit the little girl) jumps out of her car and pulls out a cell phone, and the guy the little girl was with (I think; he could have been a passerby for all I know) turns around and bends over her (she was lying in the road, now. I think he told her to stay put, because she tried to get back up and fell down again.) And then the lady with the cell phone motions to where the purple car had vanished and the guy and another guy vanished around the corner, I guess in pursuit. I don't think they caught up with the purple car; it had been too long. I can't believe they didn't stop!

So I'm sitting there, with one car in front of me now and then the little girl, the lady, and an assortment of pedestrians who are drawn to the scene of the accident. And knowing I could do nothing, and hadn't really seen anything that anyone else there hadn't seen as well, I turned around in the video store's parking lot and tried to drive around the block to get to the grocery store. I kind of got lost, and after a few minutes I ended up at the intersection where the little girl was now being strapped to a stretcher. The ambulance drove away soon after that.

Whoever you are, kid, I hope you're ok. I sent a prayer up for you while I was sitting there. :(

And geez, people, getting home three seconds faster is not going to matter much in the big picture of things! Watch where you're going and be careful! Pedestrians in the city have a big target on them in the first place, but it's up to the drivers not to hit them!

I've never seen anyone get hit by a car before. :(

Comments

Popular Posts