Scene: Yesterday afternoon, on my way home from work.
Weather: Broad daylight. Sunny. Warm.

Driving down a straight stretch of Bethel-New Richmond Rd., and almost to the split. I was lost in my own thoughts, considering whether or not to stop at Storage on the way back from Mom and Dad's or just go home and relieve Mabel when I noticed the car in the other lane.

It was a silver something-or-other, not a new car. There were two people in the car, one a blond girl and the driver (I didn't see him/her.) As I watched (It was about oh, 50 feet away), the car swerved, ran off the road, and then entered my lane.

I slowed down, wondering what the heck was going on.

It swerved again, getting closer. I inched over, and passed it as it ran off the side of the road, thinking that it would take a lot of doing to wrench the car into my lane before I got past it.

Behind me now, the driver squealed his tires as he swerved yet again, and then spun the wheel as he almost rolled into the opposite ditch. He stopped, finally, with the car across both lanes of traffic.

A lady two driveways up was watching this, openmouthed. There were three cars rather far behind me, and they stopped as the driver of the silver car pulled into a driveway, then pulled back out (quickly) and sped off down the road.

I didn't stop, but continued on my way after exchanging glances with the lady in the other driveway. I guess I could have called in the license plate and reported them for driving erratically, but I wasn't really near enough to get the license plate, and I didn't want to get out of my car and start screaming "What the hell are you thinking, you idiot?" for fear of being run down.

I am still wondering what the heck was going on. There was nothing in the road for him to swerve to avoid and it was broad daylight. Weird.

Although I do wonder if it was a domestic violence situation, even though I didn't see the driver.

Comments

Popular Posts