I had 13 things on my list for the weekend, and only five are left. Three of them involve craft show stuff, like finishing up the bears, and I hope to at least make a stab at getting a couple of the seven bears done yet tonight.

Bekah and I stopped at a local nursey/farm place on our way back from running errands in Bethel (Mom told us to stop, because all their squash and gourds were $1), and I now have a huge Hubbard squash to prepare, as well as a Crenshaw and a Banana. I also picked up two pumpkins, and something called a "Long-Necked Pumpkin" as well. I'll go back--the smaller squash, like the acorns and butternuts, are $.39 a pound. And I LOVE acorn squash.

Today I went to an auction with Dad--a three day auction (I missed yesterday, since it didn't look like they were selling anything I was interested in)--and I'll probably go back tomorrow. I had only intended to stay for a couple of hours, but after realizing that I could just as easily sew at the auction, I drove home (less than a mile) and packed up my stuff. I was on my last bear head by the time we left. So, I did make progress.

I did get some cool stuff, including a Universal #4 dough maker with all the attachments, a large box full of buttons, sewing supplies, and other cool stuff (including turkey vulture feet buttons. Not made out of turkey vulture feet, they are metal buttons with imprinted turkey vulture feet. Too cool!), two old Winchester boxes that have been cut down into bins that I will use for yarn, a little wooden skein rack, a cherry pitter machine that we thought was a dried bean huller, and a very neat-o old gardening tool display rack that is perfect for displaying jewelry at the craft show.

Dad bought me this:


If you don't already know, it's a cast iron book press. I have always wanted one, but honestly, I've never seen one at an auction until now.

Um. I've just looked these up on ebay. Whoa! Mine's a bit different, but it's also marked. (The Miller, DuBrul, & Peters Mfg. Co. Cincinnati & New York, P48.) Dad paid $22 for it. I think it was a good deal!!

Okay, I have to get to work, or I'm not going to get anything done tonight.

***Edit: After a little research, it looks like The Miller, DuBrul, & Peters Mfg. Co. did cigar molds. So I wonder if it's a cigar press? They exist--there's one on ebay by the same manufacturer. But you couldn't use that one as a book press, and you can use mine just fine as a book (or flower) press. Now I wonder if the cigar mold sold at the auction actually went with my press. Hmm! And here's another one--with cigar molds. Same manufacturer, different style. (It's the second one on the page.) Interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts