It was a normal year. I made $146. Sold some books (I haven't counted them yet, so I'm not sure how many), lots of $.25 bracelets, lots of necklaces, one hat, and one scarf. Definitely slower today than yesterday, though. I didn't sell any bears, but everyone liked them. (I'll probably post one to ebay tomorrow, just to keep my toes in the water until after the craft shows are finished.)

I'm not disappointed. After all, I do have next weekend to look forward to, where I know there will be people buying books, at least, thanks to my promotion department (aka my Mom) who has been out in force. :)

Next year, however, I plan to do a lot of different things, since I now have a dedicated spot for craft stuff.

I had mentioned to Mom how I had half-decided to just look for another sewing machine on ebay, shopgoodwill, or at Goodwill itself and not spend the money to fix mine. I wanted something that would last--Lydia's lasted for 87 years and counting, but I don't want to break her, and the treadle machine is going to take a bit to fix (I took it apart tonight, just to see.)

Friday, Mom and Dad came to the craft show for lunch and supper. Since I wasn't going to be able to go down to Goodwill with them (craft show ended at 7pm, so it just wouldn't have worked) I intended to ask them if they would keep an eye out for sewing machines. Every once in a while Goodwill will get a good one. Up until now, I haven't really had the desire to buy another one, so I've let them pass.

Well, now, of course, I'm looking. And it's after Burlington season, and close to the end of auction season, so of course they'll be in short supply.

Imagine my surprise when I asked Mom if she would look out for one and she tells me that they stopped at Goodwill (Williamsburg) that morning, and found an old Singer sewing machine--with the original manual, screwdrivers, bobbins, feet, etc.--that looked like it had never been used (I mean, the cord looks brand new. Seriously!) from 1953. It's a model 99k, which, incidently, is the same model number as Lydia. They both were made in the same factory in Clydebank, Scotland, 35 years apart.

It took Dad and me a good hour and a half this afternoon to fix the tension so it would sew properly, but we managed to do it, and it sews very nicely. Only one stitch, of course, but in all seriousness, that's the only stitch I ever use.

So it looks like Lydia will return to being my backup, and I will have her cousin--as yet unnamed--as my main machine.

Now if I could only find someone in California who would be willing to pick this up and get it shipped to me (I'd pay for that, of course), I would be a happy person. Alas, I don't think I know anyone nearby. (I have never seen one of this style before. How cool!)

Comments

Popular Posts