Tonight I made a zucchini pasta casserole for supper. It was yummy! In fact, it was so yummy I had seconds. Mmmm. It was perfect, and so simple! And I made it up, so it's my recipe, not someone else's. Although I daresay it's simple enough that someone else has probably made it up before me.

Ingredients:

1 medium zucchini, cut into rounds
pasta, cooked (depending on the size of the pasta and the size of your casserole dish and how much you want to make--I used the big round pasta--I can't remember the name.)
Spaghetti sauce
Mozarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Basically, you are layering each ingredient. Start with a layer of zucchini over the whole bottom of the dish you are using. I used a stoneware bread pan, so it wasn't very large. You can use more zucchini if you need to.

After the zucchini layer, put a layer of pasta, then a layer of spaghetti sauce, and then a layer of mozarella cheese. Then another layer of zucchini, pasta, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. Always end with cheese.

I suppose you could make this more than six* layers, but that's all that would fit in my dish.

Pop it into the oven for about 30 minutes or until the zucchini is just done. Still a little crisp, but not mushy. The cheese on top should be nice and brown. Check the zucchini with a fork. If the fork pierces it without any trouble, but doesn't leave it falling apart and gross, it's done.

For such a simple dish, this was delicious. I will definitely make it again. And I'd say it's good for you--don't you agree? The only real fat comes from the cheese, and it's lowfat cheese. :)

Alternately, you can add squash to one layer instead of two layers of zucchini, or cut the zucchini into bite-sized pieces. You can also make it without zucchini or squash, but since the whole idea is to use the zucchini up, that would kind of be beside the point.


Edit:

*six? I guess I can't count. It should be eight. Sheesh!

Comments

Popular Posts