Good morning, 2010!

I have a lot of hope for this year, as I do for every year. I am hoping to stay on track with my goals a bit better this year than last year.

And then I saw people's posts about the decade we've left, and I realized that a lot has happened in my life over the past ten years. And when I say a lot, I mean it. My first novel was published, I got married, got divorced, moved to Columbus, moved back home, bought a house, ended up 2009 with fifteen books published... it's been a really busy ten years. I can say with utter certainty that I'm in a better place in 2010 than I was in 1999; that pretty much goes without saying.

In 1999, I got married. My grandmother (Nanny) died. I moved from my parents' house to Columbus. I got a new job. I did not yet have a blog, so things are a bit sketchy, but I finished Second Coming that year, too. That was a breakthrough novel for me.

In 2000, I started to realize that married life wasn't working out for me or my ex-idiot. I kept writing. That year is pretty much a blur for me; if anyone else remembers what happened that year, please let me know. I know it was a stressful year, and I know that's probably why I don't remember it much.

In 2001, The Tenth Ghost was published. I thought I'd write a book a year in that series, and be done by now (hahaha.) I got a new job, which ended up being a really good thing. At the end of the year, I started this blog. It was--originally--intended to be a writing blog. That didn't last for long, because my marriage was falling apart by then. 9/11 came and went. I realized that I worked in a Level 5 building, which meant we had to use our badges four times before we could reach the door of our office. To make ends meet, I had to start selling most of my beloved book collection (among other things) on ebay. I was very stressed.

In 2002, a lot of stuff happened. Prince of Shadows was published. My marriage continued to deteriorate. I decided to stop being silent about it and started posting on my blog about my life. I also told my family what was going on. I got a $4/hour raise, too, which stunned me. A miracle occurred, as well. I went to marriage counseling, where the "counselor" told me that I had to have had something terrible happen in my childhood. I never went back. I got a divorce (Yay!), which was a really freeing experience for me. Ethan was born! I moved back home!

In 2003, I got a new job (my current one), I started paying off my credit card debt. Nine Lives and Three Wishes was published, and so was Lost in Shadows. I kept writing. I taught myself how to knit. The goal was to buy a house by the end of 2005. That didn't quite happen...

In 2004, The Ninth Guest and Bound in Shadows were published. I kept paying off the credit cards and saving up my money. I also gardened, planted lots of mint, and did a lot of stuff that I could list here, but if you really want to know, read that year's worth of archives. :) In late summer 2004, my Dream House was put up for sale. Although I knew I wasn't ready, I decided to see if I would be able to get enough money to buy it. That didn't happen, but I was able to get enough money to buy something quite nice, which is where I ended 2004--stuck in my new house in the middle of an ice storm without power for two days and with only one book in the entire house. Torture! (Stuck with one book, I mean.) However, my Dad hooked my boiler up to my car, and at least I had heat.

In 2005, I was a homeowner! One big goal off my list. It was kind of scary, though, and still is. Bekah and Ethan moved in with me, and so did Mabel. And of course, the cats. I expanded the two round flowerbeds on the side of the driveway into one, and planted my small garden there. It did well. I was rewriting Heart's Desire for the umpteenth time. I guess I must not have had anything published in 2005, although that's probably where Jintsu published the Karen Montgomery stories. I'm just too lazy to look it up.

In 2006, The Eighth Room and The Dead Who Do Not Sleep were published. I bought a Mantis tiller and tilled up the space for the big garden out front. I made quite a few soft-sculptured dolls. Loki appeared at my house. I had always wanted a Siamese cat. I set up with other authors at the RenFaire, and almost froze to death on the last day. (Not quite kidding, either!)

In 2007, Budget Cuts was republished. I gave up High Fructose Corn Syrup for Lent. I made rice wine, and got interested in natural foods and cleaning products. I kept writing. I worked around the house and in the garden. I started washing my hair with shampoo bars. At the end of the year, I was writing Full Moon. I also started Plethora. I bought a new camera. I also bought an XO, which was a mistake.

In 2008, The Secret of Redemption was republished. Ladybug, Ladybug was published, and so was The Seventh Secret and Full Moon, which was #4 on the bestseller list at Fictionwise at one point, yay! I decided to post Heart's Desire for free before it was published. I expanded the garden a bit more. Bekah and Ethan moved out. I bought a loom, and was hooked on weaving. I bought more than one loom, actually. At the end of the year, I bought a netbook to replace my Dana. I'm still satisfied with my purchase.

In 2009, Heart's Desire was published. We lost my niece Mya. My sister Bekah got married, and bought a new house, too. The garden did pretty well; I ended up with my goal of 10 gallons of tomato juice in my freezer. I had a really, really busy spring and summer. Dad and I set up at Burlington, which was fun, if exhausting. I bought and sold three spinning wheels and a couple of looms. I didn't get my grass mown one last time before winter. I'm sure more happened, but this is a really long entry now... :)

I've posted my goals for 2010 on Plethora. We'll see how I do.

Comments

Popular Posts