You absolutely do not want to know what I bought at the auction today in Aberdeen. Absolutely, positively, do not want to know.

Oh, you do? I am almost embarrassed to say that I came home with an oak Estey Cottage Organ from the 1870s and a sewing machine.

Just shoot me now. Of course, the organ was $17.50* (yes, I typed that correctly) and the sewing machine was $10.

The organ, after a bit of research, needs new bellows. The sewing machine needs a new plug. The plug should be fairly simple; the bellows look to be not impossible, so we'll see. It would be very nice to have a working organ in the music room. (There's already an unworking organ in the music room; if I can repair the Estey, then maybe I'll try my hand at the Beckwith too!)

The sewing machine is an Apartment Electric sewing machine in a cabinet; it came with attachments and the manual and some thread (and a pair of scissors, some buttons, extra needles and extra bobbins, although only one shuttle; the whole kit and kaboodle looks like this. I posted pictures on Flickr.

I also came home with a cute orange and brown bag (that was $1), a metal wastepaper can ($1), a Saxette, a fife, and a tin whistle** (all in one box; and I didn't know the tin whistle was in there!) for $12.50, a coat rack for $14, and a Revereware tea kettle for $10. I think that's everything.




*It was embarrassing. Seriously embarrassing.


**The tin whistle is marked US and is in the key of B. My German tin whistle is probably in the key of E, then, because it's a lot smaller. The fife--has a crack in it. It might be made of ebony and might have silver on either end. It's definitely worth repairing, I would think. However, the question would be is it something I want to repair, or is it something I should post on ebay for repair? The Saxette is (I presume) a pre-saxophone instrument. Meaning, that's what you play first to get used to playing with a reed. There are no reeds with it, but the instructions are there. That will go on ebay.

Comments

Grey Walker said…
I'm shaking my head affectionately. :)
Jennifer said…
Thank you. :)

I walked away from two rocking chairs, a Hoosier cabinet (that actually went for too much for my budget) and quite a few other things. *sigh*

Popular Posts