In about an hour, I predict I will either fall asleep at my keyboard or collapse, whichever comes first. Why? Well, I've been up since 3:30am.

But yay! The first Burlington of 2010! You will be pleased to find out that I did not come back with any spinning wheels; I only saw one there and it was in sorry shape (not to mention too expensive; I don't care if it's dated 1862, if it's missing the MoA, maidens, flyer, and bobbin, not to mention the treadle and footman, then it's not worth $135.) But of course I did end up with some stuff--

--a pair of wooden geta that fit (!!) for $10
--three Fire King bowls in the pattern I seem to be collecting here and there for $10
--a burl walnut little bowl perfect for a support spindle for $5
--a bag of linens (two aprons, one rayon woven shawl (at least I think it's rayon; I'll have to check and make sure), one silk scarf, one silk something-or-other (it might be a scarf, it's connected with crochet), a crocheted something-or-other (that actually might make a good bag) that someone made out of heavy thread and it had to have taken ages to make, a tile with a quail on it, some other things I can't remember, and a little copper and brass cup that would also work for a support spindle all on the 12/$10 table)
--a two-strap bread pan (two loaves of bread together; now, those will fit in my oven!) for $7
--a turned wooden crochet hook for $5
--and... last but not least, a gigantic warping board. And when I say gigantic, I mean it's about 4 1/2 foot by 5 1/2 foot. It's huge. I don't have floorspace or wallspace for it at the moment, although that does mean cleaning out the Junk/Ebay room is next on my list so I can hang it up and actually use it. (For $20, edited to add later.)

I bought my support spindle with me to work on my current batch of yarn. I don't think I've mentioned this support spindle yet. I ordered an osage orange russian style support spindle from Lisa Chan of grippingyarn.com a few weeks ago, and I've been enjoying it since it arrived. Yesterday, I started a new batch of roving from Wild Hare Fiber Studio on etsy. (In the Hush colorway. I have three ounces of it, and since all you do at Burlington when not walking around or talking to other people (although I can officially talk and spin at the same time now!) is sit there, I decided to bring my spinning along.

And what a perfect thing to do while sitting there! It's mindless enough that I don't have to worry about dropped stitches or anything like that. I can sit and watch the people and talk to people and think about Capture--speaking of which, I have the entire ending in my mind now. Poor Russ--and get a lot of spinning done while I'm at it.

So anyway, I only had a small amount spun as of last night. By the time I quit today, I have the spindle pretty full, although I'm going to try to see how much I can actually have on this spindle at one time. I doubt I'll fit all three ounces, but maybe one and a half? That's pretty good for a spindle like this, I'd think.

Surprisingly enough, I had two people recognize what I was doing, and three people ask me what I was doing. One person asked me what I intended to make with the yarn. I told them I didn't know yet.

Selling-wise, I sold the bed (yay!), quite a few cookbooks, a couple pieces of jewelry findings/beads, and a couple other things. I really didn't bring a whole lot, so I'll try to bring more next time.

But oh am I tired right now.

Comments

Grey said…
Sounds like a successful day!

I've found that my weavette hand loom has just that level of mindlessness to it, too.
Jennifer said…
It wasn't that bad! I can't complain.

Exactly. I meant to mention that when you posted about it--was that just yesterday? I need a cup of tea. Fuzzy-headed this morning...

Popular Posts