Just in case anyone was wondering, I truly do love to write. I might complain about characters and stories sometimes, but that's just a fact of life. Some stories are more difficult to tell than others, after all. There isn't anything I can do about it.

I have had to completely rewrite more than one novel, and each time I do this, I use what I've learned since its last writing and apply that knowledge to the rewrite. Unless the story truly does not wish to be told at that time, I don't usually complain too loudly. *g* That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Rewriting and revising is just a part of the whole. While I dearly love the first draft part, going back over a finished product and tightening the prose, catching plot holes, and fixing problems is a necessary part of the writing process. Sometimes you have to scrap everything and start anew. Sometimes you are left with something to be proud of; a finished and complete creation that wholly belongs to you.

When I first expanded Heart's Desire from the short story (that was written years ago; I don't remember the exact date), I didn't quite have a handle on Sarah Campbell, even by the end of the book. Even after I sold it (the sale was later dropped by the publisher, alas), I still didn't feel quite comfortable with it. I knew there was something wrong, no matter what everyone else said. But I didn't know what until three weeks ago, when I started this rewrite.

I stripped everything away, save for the essence of the story. I had to change the short-short synopsis a bit, from this: Five years ago, Sarah Campbell won a contest with Faerie using a kazoo and a bit of luck. Since then, she has been a magnet for the strange and supernatural. When she rescues Michael Elliott from a Hell-spawned prison, she does not expect her act of kindness to have repercussions that resonate far into her future; repercussions that could cost her everything she holds dear-her happiness, her possessions, her life. to this: On a quest to find information about her mother's death and her parents' mysterious past, Sarah Campbell discovers that the small town of Beth-Hill is not quite what it seems to be. From the Wild Hunt to a mysterious Council of Wizards; a kitten who is not a kitten and a bookstore run by Hell, Sarah is quickly embroiled in a battle that has been brewing for twenty-one years.... etc., etc. (I'm not quite finished with it yet, so expect that to change.)

Compared to the original, this version is quite different, obviously. There are four POV characters: Sarah, Michael, Lucas, and Gabriel, and they each bring their own special concerns to the storyline.

When Sarah steps in something, she steps in something big, let me tell you. I think I know her better now. *g*

All told, I used about 11 pages from the original version. The rest is all new text. Some of the scenes may be similar--the lightning struck tree in the forest, perhaps, and Lucas' house--but the majority of the story is broader, and tighter, and better.

When I finish this version, I'm going to put the old version up on my website. After I sell Heart's Desire, if you want to read and compare the two, feel free. And you can tell me which one is better. *g*

More later...

Comments

Popular Posts