Oh, I did miss the RenFaire. It was fun, even if it did get a little hot there in the afternoon. A good turnout for a cloudy day, it didn't rain even though it looked like it wanted to at times.

My only casualty of the day was the mug I bought--handthrown blue and purple and really pretty. As I was leaving, I opened up my passenger side door to stow my walking stick and the staff I bought (more on that later) and the bag with the mug in it fell out of my purse--right on the metal part of the edge of the door frame. I heard a clunk that didn't sound very good, and it wasn't. The handle broke into about four pieces. The mug itself is fine, so I will probably use it to store things, since I think I need another pen holder. (No, I don't have too many pens. Not a chance!)

I bought myself an early birthday present. There were two booths with walking sticks at the Faire, one with mostly lodgepole pine and another with all types of different woods. The second booth had osage orange walking sticks, and they were beautiful. (And priced accordingly, too.) In truth, I don't think the price they charged was too high. It was just high.

But the staff I bought (too long for a walking stick, really; I think the longer ones should be staffs anyway) fit just right in my hand. It's not too big and not too small (although I'm still planning to make a smaller one from wood from Dad's osage orange trees.) It has good lines, and it just fit. I can't explain it any more than that. In truth, all the walking sticks/canes/etc. that I own just fit. If that makes sense. :)

Anyway, so I bought it, and the extra rubber tip that I had from somewhere fit perfectly, so I guess it was meant to be.

I didn't buy much else, really. Just food (bread bowl chili--delicious!) and sugared pecans and lip balm from a place that had bar lotion, which was really interesting and might be a good Christmas present for people on my list.

I did drool over a replica Irish one-handed sword, however. It was only $59, too. And the bowed psaltries were very nice. (So were the digeridoos, but I just like them in general anyway. They are so fun to play, even though I didn't play any at the booth.)

Dad and I might go back in October; we'll see.

So now I'm tired and my hips are sore (walking uphill and down does that to me) and I'm planning not to do much tonight other than eat rice for supper (being made in my new Pampered Chef rice cooker) and write. I'm still working on the part of Chapter 19 that I lost, and last night I realized something important about the nature of Michael's prison. Hahahaha!

(Edit) I should probably mention something about the elf ears. What the heck is with the elf ears? I went in costume, as I have all but one time, but elf ears? What is medieval about elf ears? (What is medieval about polyester? But don't get me started--I think the whole fairy thing is getting (or has gotten) out of hand a bit.) Anyway. Time for supper.

(Edit #2) I love my rice cooker. And I should mention that the guy with the glass harmonica is almost too cool for words. I've always liked the idea of glass harmonicas, and he was a master. If we do go back, I'm going to have to buy a CD. Lovely, lovely music. (And sooooo neat, too!)

Comments

Popular Posts