Since this is when I'd originally thought I would be looking for a house, I've been on realtor.com lately just seeing what would have been available if I had continued with my original plan. And here's what I've discovered:

If I lived alone and didn't care about the closeness of neighbors, I probably would have bought this house, because of the close proximity to Mom and Dad's and because I've always liked cottages.

However, this would have been the house I lusted after, despite the slightly out-of-my-reach price tag. It's only slightly, and I might have actually gotten it. (However, hardwood floors aren't listed on this one, and I would need to do something about that. And the interior pictures aren't anything to write home about. But it's stone. And historical. And cute. With acreage.)

There are two more stone houses in Bethel for sale at the moment, but this one is on a busy highway and this one is just too small. I would feel sorry (and do feel sorry) for this one (it looks like it might have been a schoolhouse at one time, and I'm partial to old schoolhouses.)

There are some nice historic houses for sale, but most of them are and would have been out of my price range anyway. And a lot of them have less land than I have now, which isn't acceptable.

However, for the most part I'm happy with what I have. Since houses less than a block or a couple blocks away are being listed at over $100,000 and sometimes over $150,000 at the moment, I still think I got a good deal on this one. I love the oak floors, the woodwork, and the stained glass window. I have enough space for all my stuff plus some (I figured out that if Bekah and Ethan weren't living with me, I'd have at least three extra rooms.) I like the fact that I'm in the middle of Georgetown and yet it feels like I have all this space around me (due to the fact that my house sits back from the road.) I like the fact that I have room enough for some fruit trees and a garden, and that it only takes me 50 minutes to mow every inch of grass (although Bekah does do the backyard, usually.)

So anyway, I don't regret buying my house a year early at all. I think this house suits me quite well, faults and all. :)

Comments

Popular Posts