Imagine my surprise when I walked out to check on the burgeoning blackberries this evening and found ripe raspberries! And they tasted divine. The other raspberries (the ones growing in my yard and therefore are mine even though I didn't plant them) are not quite ripe yet. But there are quite a few more of them, so that's good.

I may have to move my raspberries for next year, because the blackberries are crowding them a bit. But we'll see.

I will also have peas for supper tomorrow night, or on the weekend, because I picked enough to eat (finally!)

Today, I also received my new hat in the mail. Actually, I got two hats (and what was to be one of Dad's Father's Day gifts, but alas, they did not send me what I ordered and they are sending it again and I have to send what they did send me back) because I was really looking forward to getting it.

But anyway, about the hats. My main garden hat is one I picked up at one of the various consignment shops around town--it was handmade out of cotton canvas and is very nice. But it's also white, and cotton canvas does not come clean no matter what I do to it. (Short of bleach it to death, that is.) And the first time I washed it, the lining tore out, so that wasn't very good either.

My 'good' hat is my ribbon hat, which I wear quite a bit, but it's also not all cotton and it doesn't have any grommets to cool down my head when I wear it in the sun.

I have other hats too--my leather hat originally purchased at The Gap (believe it or not; I've had it for about 15 years), and a few bucket hats that I've picked up here and there. I even have a wide-brimmed sunhat that is okay--not perfect by any means, but just okay.

But what I really, really wanted was a simple cotton hat that fit my head (I wear a size large in hats) and wasn't too tight. And one that looked good, too. I have also always wanted a waxed cotton hat--a nice, all-weather hat with a brim that could complement my leather hat, since it's getting rather elderly. (Although not dead by any means. Name one piece of clothing from the Gap that has lasted fifteen years!)

So I found a hat online, and hoped it would fit. It's all cotton, with a Coolmax sweatband, and I ordered a size large after measuring my head again. And I also splurged a bit on the waxed cotton hat, because I just couldn't say no anymore after saying no for close to five years.

And both hats fit. Perfectly. The cotton hat (it's a Boonie hat) fits my head and is very soft and green. The waxed cotton hat is dark brown. Both hats will last me forever, although I am considering buying another Boonie hat because they are still on sale and very cheap. (That way I would have a spare, if needed. Or, at the least, one to keep in the car.)

So I'm very happy to be able to replace my cotton canvas hat, and end up with two nice hats for not that much money at all.

One of these days, I will perfect my hat pattern and be able to make my own garden hats to sell, but until that day comes, at least I'll have something nice and comfortable to wear. And by buying these two hats, I can examine their workings and patterns and hopefully work out the kinks in my patterns, too.

Comments

Popular Posts