I planted potatoes today; not all of them, but the ones I put in the raised bed, which was a mixture of white, purple, and red. I also opened the Garlic Box and discovered that 95% of the garlic I didn't plant last fall was still okay, so as I was contemplating hoeing up all that space, I realized that the ground was dry enough to till, so I got out my Mantis and I tilled the kitchen garden (YAY!!) and planted four six* rows of garlic. I still have some left to plant.

Of course the Mantis is a bit sluggish, and doesn't want to finish up the section of the small garden beside the potatoes (where I had tomatoes last year.) I had intended to plant either garlic or potatoes there, or maybe something else... I don't know. It's a bit wet there, though. So I probably won't finish it today.

But I tilled the kitchen garden!! That was something on my list of things to do, but I didn't think I'd get to it, because I never do. I also pulled out about a million catalpa tree seedlings. Ugh.

So now I smell like dirt and black currant (which is coming out; and yes, still smells like resinous cat pee, I swear) and garlic. What a combination!

But dirt! And tilling! Yay!!



*When I went back outside to put everything away, I remembered that I had tilled the kitchen garden, so I just planted the rest of the garlic. I'll plant some lettuce seed among it. That will work. Although I'm not sure where I'm going to put the swiss chard this year... hmm.

Comments

Grey Walker said…
Smell is a fascinating thing. I've heard many people say they can smell cat urine in black currant. I can't. If I think about it, I can *almost* smell it, enough to understand how someone else could.
Jennifer said…
I think it's the strong resin. And I'm kind of glad I only have one bush, because they are *not* good to eat off the bush. Yuck. Although the white ones I planted last year were delicious. So I have three of those. :)

Popular Posts