I have a place I dream about every so often. Up until now, I've called them the "Lake Dreams" because there's a fabulously huge lake in the area--and a waterfall that falls from an overpass (You pass beneath the waterfall to get to the lake, at least that's one way to get there.) There's an outdoor shopping mall there that houses just about anything you could ever desire (and honestly, I think it's partially in Faerie, just from the names of some of the stores (that don't exist in this world.) There's a "country store", bison that roam the hills around the lake, and the people who live there are quite interesting, too.

If you get lost while driving, you usually end up in the mall, at least in my dreams. There's one road past a run-down gas station off the main highway that leads there, and another road (where I battled once with a ghost) that looks like it's a dead-end that really isn't. The shopping mall's off in the middle of nowhere (literally, it's in a little valley of cleared space, and the buildings rise up among the trees; the first time I saw it, I couldn't believe it was there. Oh, and the locals don't shop at the mall, by the way.); the main village is a cluster of old buildings with tiny little shops and houses. I would really love to live there.

Up until last night, I had no idea what the town's actual name was. I've heard it before, from some of the people who live there, but I've never remembered it after waking up. And I've been visiting for years and years.

Last night, I dreamt that my parents, Em, Elsa, and maybe Jess (I can't remember who the other person was) were on our way back from somewhere and we got lost. Dad was driving, and we were just going down roads in general, passing lots of cornfields (which is pretty normal for Ohio) and I started catching glimpses of familiar surroundings. A tree here, a house there. I told them there would be a huge mall up ahead, and a little village I could never remember the name of.

And, lo and behold, there it was, appearing like a mirage in the middle of the forest.

Both my parents and everyone else assumed we'd made a really wrong turn and had ended up at the outlet malls. I disagreed--the outlet malls were too northerly, and we were still south. We hadn't been driving for that long. We were in the place whose name I could never remember. We weren't in Washington Courthouse as everyone suspected. I couldn't remember the name, but I thought it had two words in it. Strangely enough, I told them that this was my dreaming place; and that there were many roads into, but only one road out of the village. And I was kind of excited, because I wanted to show them the waterfall overpass.

My Dad found a map of the mall while everyone else went to look around and get some scones from the bakery. It was one of those 'street maps' type things, and I fairly snatched it from his hands and turned it over to find the address of where we were, which was Grace Creek, Ohio. The mall is called "The Grace." (As in, "I'm going up to The Grace to see a movie...")

I woke up (late) soon after to a lovely morning. But now, at least, that little village I like to visit in my dreams has a name.




(I find it funny that I dream about a shopping mall and hate to go into them.)

Comments

Popular Posts