So my blue desk is downstairs.

I'm getting ready to start moving furniture around. I have the rolltop deskbottom to move, the typewriter desk to move, and a few other things to put into place. I'm going to be pretty busy the rest of the afternoon. (I've been writing; Scarecrows is now up to 8,000 words (yay!) and going strong. I've been writing a lot of everything's fine, everything's dandy, everything's going well, and now have reached the Blood! Gore! Death! part, so all is well on that front.)

But I'm still having a dilemma of sorts about where to put things over here.

Here is what I have:

--a blue desk
--a typewriter desk
--a half table (can be moved; non-issue)
--four bookcases, one large, three small
--various spinning equipment, spindles, fiber-in-progress, etc.
--books
--other crafting supplies.

I want to put my blue desk where my typewriter desk is. That's not an issue. The part that I'm questioning is the fact that if I put the typewriter desk where this rolltop deskbottom is, then I won't be able to access the plug. Now, I have all the computer equipment on a strip plug, so that's not a problem, but I also have other things plugged into that plug. Is it really an issue, though? The only reason why I'd need to access it was if I wanted to unplug something. Hmmm.

So anyway, if I put the typewriter desk where this one is (I believe I had it like that before, no, the typewriter desk was actually in the entry room for a long time. Here's a picture of what I started with back in 2008:

And here's a fairly current picture:

Now, the bookcases aren't as full right at the moment, but it's pretty accurate.

The half-table with the rolltop deskbottom is 70 inches wide. The typewriter desk is 36 inches wide. My blue desk is 39 inches wide. That leaves a difference of 31 inches, which is--technically--wide enough for another desk. Or a table, or something.

But, I also have the bookcases in the hallway. And while I wouldn't want to put the bookcases on the floor on the other side of the typewriter desk (it would look weird, for one, and it wouldn't be comfortable to work there, either), I could technically made a wall 'o books in here--with the bookcases on top of the typewriter desk, and maybe one other table.

The issue?

Access. I have a big huge trunk sitting in front of the air conditioner/picture window on my left. And that makes this corner a bit awkward. Putting a desk against the wall in the corner would make the drawers inaccessible.

Leaving the half-table in place is a possibility; it's only an inch off the height of the typewriter desk, so making it work wouldn't be a problem. But I'd still have 16 inches left over, which could--possibly--be a spot for a chair.

I don't know. That half-table fits there, but I have issues with that corner and the kitties (let's just say... I need that space to be accessible to me and not to them. That's the spot where the litterboxes were when I first moved here, and it wasn't my brightest idea.)

Now--what I could do is make the trunk into seating (or even a spot for sleepy cats) and slide it over against the wall beside the typewriter desk. That would eliminate the issue with the kitties and that corner. The typewriter desk could go into place where I want it to go, my blue desk could go beside it, and hmm. The only thing that might look odd is the chest sticking out and nothing underneath the window/air conditioner.

I'll need to think on this a bit. I don't want to have to move things around again.

Comments

Popular Posts