Handwriting/Handwritten

Up until I bought my first computer in 1997, I handwrote all my books and then typed them once I was finished. The portability of a notebook and pen was something a computer could not compare with--and it even has limits in this (more advanced) day and age. And even through technology changes and the advent of smaller, more portable machines (as of this writing, I've used a Handspring Visor w/keyboard, an AlphaSmart Dana, and an Asus Aspire One Netbook), there's still something about a notebook and pen that eclipses everything that runs off a battery or plug.

First, the obvious--short of your pen running out of ink, there are no software glitches, harddrive crashes, or low batteries to deal with. A notebook and pen consumes no electricity. Sure, the argument could very well become that paper production in general is very polluting, and I've never even looked at the cost of ink (environmentally speaking), but from an environmental point of view, which is more recyclable--paper or electronics? I think that answer is obvious.

Second, computers are multi-purpose machines. Very rarely do I turn on my computer strictly to write. If I get stuck, I'll visit my favorite sites on the internet, check my email, or watch something on Netflix. My desktop consumes quite a bit of electricity. My netbook much less, due to the fact that it mostly runs off a battery, but even so. It needs to be charged, and the battery only lasts about 6 hours.

Third, I am in front of a computer screen for my day job, and in front of a computer screen while I write. That's absolutely not good for my eyesight, or my health in general. Too much screen time is not a good thing, and I've been trying to figure out a way to limit my screen time outside of work. Obviously, the best solution would be to find a job where I'm not in front of a computer all day, so it wouldn't matter that much when I'm at home writing. But until that happens, I've been sitting in front of a computer, sometimes for ten hours a day--or more.

Fourth, in a notebook, you can write in the margins. You can write reminders to yourself at the top of the page. You can keep a list of current characters or where everyone is in one easily updatable place. You can tuck things between pages. You don't have to worry about getting a notebook wet, or setting it down, or dropping it, or taking it outside. (I, personally, don't have enough money to replace my netbook if something were to happen to it. It is an expensive piece of equipment that I carry around with me. That's not always a good idea.)


Before 1997, for ten years, I wrote my stories and novels in notebooks. I carried a notebook everywhere I went. Taking my WIP with me wasn't an issue--at all. I didn't have to plug in, or log on or wait for anything to load. I merely opened up a page and began to write.

For the past few weeks, I've been rereading some of those old stories. I have milk crates full of notebooks--and the typed pages afterwards. And I've been trying to figure out the best way to limit my screen time, especially when I'm at home.

I think I've hit upon a solution.

I'm going to do an experiment first, and see how it goes. I will start using a notebook and pen again, for my current WIP. It's going to be a bit fiddly, since most of it is already typed, but what I think I will do is type up what I write during the week on the weekends, and then I'll have two copies, if I manage to lose my notebook (which, knock on wood, has never happened.)

I actually have enough blank notebooks (and of course I have plenty of pens) so I won't have to purchase anything to try this experiment. We'll see how it goes. I am still planning to check my email and favorite websites, etc., after work every afternoon, but I'm not going to spend hours sitting here anymore. It's nice enough outside to sit out on the porch and write, and get a little fresh air along with a few hundred words. It's also nice enough outside that I could eat lunch at my desk and then go outside for my actual lunch break and write there as well.

I am hopeful that this will help and I will still be able to be productive, writing-wise. We'll see how it goes.

Comments

Popular Posts