To me, at least, the internet--or, rather, an internet connection--has always meant social media. At first, it was email, and connecting to other likeminded people via the written word. I broadened my horizons on the internet. I met new and wonderful (and some not-so-wonderful) people, and some of them I still call friends. I started a blog, which I've continued, now, for thirteen years this November. I published books. I found new hobbies and learned new things. At one point in my life, I couldn't imagine life without an internet connection, although, interestingly enough, I very nearly didn't have one at home in the first place when I moved in here.

I'll still have one, in a minute here when I call to cancel my home internet and home phone. I'll be mobile, though. It seems to be working just fine. I can still do everything I need to do or want to do, except, perhaps, watch Netflix (streaming uses up a lot of data), but I'm actually OK with that. I've only watched a lot of stuff recently; up until then, I would watch something on DVD maybe once or twice a year.

I'm cutting the cord, so to speak. I don't intend to be absent, because there's an app to update my blog and an app for everything, it seems, although I haven't explored many of them.

I untethered myself from the computer for writing; now it's time to do the same thing for the internet, and save a bit of money at the same time.

Comments

Popular Posts