The State of the Writer Report, Year-End 2001



Zette's question on the discussion board got me thinking about this, and since the site seems to be down right now, I thought I'd post this here.

Year-in-reviews are a new thing for me. In essence, I haven't had anything real to review until this year, because I haven't paid attention to what happened throughout the year.

In July 2000, I became a moderator at Holly Lisle's site. I didn't even notice my year anniversary; time flies when you're having fun, I guess. I became a moderator and had no way of knowing what I was in for. I can't say it's been a flawless ride, but it has definitely been interesting. And all interesting roads have potholes, don't you agree?

Last year, right about this time, I made a decision that I would submit everything I wrote in 2001. I would stop being so scared about rejection and/or acceptance, and I would buckle down, get organized, and get my life together. Well... some of that happened. Some did not, namely the organized bit.

I'm going to paraphrase Zette's questions here, since I can't get to the site:

How did your writing year go?

My year had both ups and downs. Ups were getting books accepted, downs were having one publisher die and one have to cut my books. Ups were seeing my book out, twice, and getting my first fan letter from someone I didn't know. Downs were our shaky financial situation, and the ever-present doubts that I am doing the right thing.

Various and sundry Ups:

--Acceptance letters in my inbox
--Designing a cover for one of my books, and realizing I'm not as bad as I thought
--My first Fan Letter from someone I didn't already know.
--This Community.
--Weblogging (I'll admit I'm addicted when you admit the same thing)
--Realizing that I can't do everything, and that organizing myself will only make what I can do go faster.
--Participating in the 3-day Novel Contest, the NaNoWriMo, and various other Community Dares.
--Having my novels compared to Emma Bull, Charles DeLint, and JK Rowling.
--Realizing I was able to write seven novels in a year while holding down a full-time job.
--Writing over 500,000 words in a year, my first year actually counting.
--And many more I can't think of offhand, but will post later on if they come to me.

Downs:

--Financial strains. Realizing I don't like to be poor, and the acres of stuff in my basement do not make me happy when we can't pay the bills.
--Having one publisher die and another drop me because of printer concerns.
--Realizing that I need to get organized. (This could be an UP, I guess. *g*)
--Realizing I can't do everything I want to do, and that completing things halfway just isn't going to cut it.
--Having to go to the POST OFFICE EVERY SINGLE NIGHT THIS WEEK!!!
--Posting auctions on ebay. While I don't mind the money, I hate posting auctions, and shipping stuff. Such is life.
--Having someone leave the community because they thought I was attacking them. (Twice)
--Realizing that there are a lot of Author Snobs out there, who would be very happy to crush lil old me under their designer boots and not look back.

Did the community help you? (I know that's really paraphrased. *g*)

Hell, yes. I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am now without the community. I seriously and in all honesty couldn't have done it without you, I don't think. :)

More later...

Comments

Popular Posts