I crocheted a hat yesterday evening, using two skeins of Lion Brand chenille that was part of a lot I bought from ebay. The colors said they were denim blue and purple, but in truth, the denim blue looked like lavender. The purple was purple, though.

I think it turned out nicely, and it's very soft. One down. About a million left to go, I think. :)

I wrote some at lunch last night, but not at home since I was crocheting. Kyren's still not very happy, but at least he's free.

I am seriously contemplating making some sort of crazy quilt, but knitting it. It can be done, I think. I just have to think about it a bit more to figure out the design. Maybe I can draw a picture of it or something, and then try to match the picture. We'll see.

And I haven't quite figured out the snake hat yet. I almost need a three-dimensional grid to make it work, because purling on a diagonal will be very interesting otherwise. But we'll see. I'm planning to work on it a bit this weekend. I think the first snake hat will be green, though. I have a nice green acrylic yarn I want to play with.

The reserve for the 100 lbs. of yarn is unfortunately too high for my pocketbook. I will keep an eye on it anyway, and I might bid up to my limit, but we'll see.

And I think there should be some knitting forum for people who want to knit but don't have enough money to buy good yarn and needles. I have been browsing Blogger profiles, and that is the theme I keep seeing. And I know I would be agreeable to trading things or whatever in exchange for excess yarn and needles.

Especially since I've been using the Denise needles almost exclusively lately. (Except for the circular needles I got down in Florida, that is. I am even contemplating buying another set of Denise needles, just for the flexibility of having more than one size 10, etc. There are two sets from 1977 on ebay that I am keeping my eye on. So far, they're within my price range.

Ethan's second birthday is Sunday. We're having a b-day party for him Saturday afternoon. This isn't going to be as big as his first b-day party. Which leads me to another thing entirely...

When I was young, we didn't have birthday parties. At least not that I remember. There might have been one or two, I think. But nowadays, it seems that kids expect to have lavish, wonderful birthday parties and plenty of gifts, too. Is this just another facet of the materialistic American culture? What's wrong with having a quiet celebration with your nearest and dearest?

I guess I can't really see the point. I know the kid feels more "important" on his or her birthday, but do we really need all the trappings?

In my case, I made a vow when I started to work that I would never work on my birthday. The only time that hasn't been possible was the day that my birthday fell on Columbus Day (and the library's mandatory inservice day.) Needless to say, I wasn't happy at that meeting. But since then, I've stuck to my vow. In truth, I don't ever really want much for my birthday, other than to be left alone to do what I want to do without interruption. That's all.

And I think I'm rambling now, so I should quit while I'm ahead. :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Knitting a crazy quilt?? Oh my. Personally, I have taken a vow never to knit a blanket. :)
Jennifer said…
I actually saw a pattern for one in a magazine. And it was interesting enough for me to wonder if I could design one myself.

It would probably be sewn together, though. I haven't really thought about it much yet.

Popular Posts