I am afraid these silences of mine will continue and posts will be tucked in between the times I manage to get onto the computer, especially through the summer. It's not that I'm exceedingly busy, but I am attempting to set things straight in the house. I am getting tired of the clutter.

Saturday was the rummage sale at St. George church. I was scheduled to work from 10am until 2pm, but I was there from 9am until about 2:30pm. Mabel ended up coming up to church with me for the last 45 minutes of my stretch. She was very well behaved, if I do say so myself. And I did manage to sell the rest of the dining room set, so it has gone to a good home and the church has some money. Yay all around.

My redbud's in bloom, and so is my dogwood. The tulips are blooming too. Everything else is just about done. The lilac is starting to bloom (I guess I should say lilacs, since there are three on my property) and I bought a lawnmower and cut the grass for the first time yesterday. (With Mom and Dad's help. Thanks, Mom and Dad!)

While I don't mind cutting the grass, I don't like the hill. It's really a lot steeper than it looks. It also makes me glad I didn't buy that Cape Cod in Ripley, due to the fact that it was all hill. And my Dad was right (I have to say this, because he kept insisting and he will now say 'I told you so' a million times) about getting a self-propelled lawnmower.

But now I need a rake. Someone somewhere needs to draw up a list of all expenses--barring emergency expenses--that brand-new homeowners will incur, like tools, lawnmowers, weed whackers, etc. Because it would have been nice if I had such a list in my possession before.

The first Burlington was yesterday, and I didn't even turn on the computer all day. I went with an eye to find two things: an oak desk chair for my other desk for under $20, and cracker tins for our crackers.

And while Certain People laughed and said I would never find a chair for under $20, I did manage to find a very nice oak desk chair for $15 that was originally in a Louisvile, KY hospital. So there. (Although I will admit to sticker shock when I kept seeing oak desk chairs for $45-$65 all day long.)

I also purchased the only piece of dragonware I saw at Burlington for $3, a cast iron three-pot decorative hanging garden rack for $18--I'm planning to adapt it and use it in the kitchen for my pots and pans, actually--two cookbooks for $2 each, a little brass hedgehog paperweight for $1, and a cracker tin for free. (There was one other, and when asked the guy asked me how much I wanted to give for it. I said that I had just gotten one for free, and I think he thought I said 'three', because that's how much he wanted. I tried to get him to go down to two, but he wouldn't do it, so I didn't buy it.)

I also found a runner for the hallway, which the cats have already bunched up three times. It's about seven feet long--not long enough for the whole hallway, but long enough to reach the edge of the first pillar, so it works.

Now I need more rug pads, of course.

Writing-wise, I'm still rereading F&W. Not much else to say there.

Let's see. Updates on everyone else means I can sum it all up and say everyone else is fine. No pee or poop in the wrong places, and the cats have adapted to the closing off of the formal dining room quite well. Five litterboxes downstairs and two upstairs seems to be a good number, although I can probably get rid of one upstairs, since Zoey is the only one who really uses them. (But I'll probably just leave things the way they are. I don't want to waste the boxes, after all.)

Mabel needs a bath, but that's not news. And bulldog farts are powerful things.

Today I might get to sow my spinach and lettuce. We'll see. I thought it was supposed to rain, but it's sunny outside at the moment.

And I have lots of work to do, so I'm going to sign off for now.

Comments

Popular Posts