The only things left on my list last night were planting the sunflowers, cleaning out my car, and working in the dining room. I started to clean out my car, but didn’t get finished.

I am going to attempt to give myself at least one task per night to accomplish—cleaning/organizing wise—and see how that works for getting things done during the week. My list for today has three items on it: Go through one box and put contents away, plant sunflowers, and mow rest of grass.

If I get the rest of the grass mowed, that’s fine, if not, that’s fine too. I’m not all that worried about it, even though it would only take a few minutes to mow.

Going through one box a night and putting the contents away is how I’m going to end up getting done with my monthly list items. One box a night—and one that I fill if I’m out of boxes *cough*--isn’t terrible. In fact, I know exactly which box I will tackle this evening.

Planting the sunflowers is a bit more time-consuming, but not horrible. Just as long as the ground isn’t too hard to poke holes for the seeds, I will be fine. And I would like to do something outside every night that I can. I might plant a couple in with the spinach and lettuce as well, depending on how many extra seeds I end up with. (I’m aiming for a row of sunflowers across the front of the front porch, but that all depends on germination, since I’m using last year’s seeds.)

This way, with the nightly task of one measly box, I should be able to make a dent in the entry room, green room, and dining room. On the weekends, my goal is three boxes a day. Quite painless, in theory. We’ll see how well it works.

I have a line on a butterfly bush for the front yard, and I’m planning to transplant my mint, lemon balm, and perhaps get some trumpet vines from my parents’ house this weekend. My goal is to have less grass to mow.

Also, I had a great idea yesterday while traipsing through the grass to fill up the watering cans for the second time. I want to put a stone path in between the flowers in the front, leading all the way around the side of the house to the cistern. This might not happen for a little while, but it will be cool when I get it done. Since the top of the hill is mine, that should work just fine. (And it would be less grass to mow, since I could utilize wasted space and plant more things on the west side of the house on the other side of the path. Whee!)

I will also be planting at least two apple trees. A Mutsu and perhaps a Winesap or Melrose. I’d like a Granny Smith, but we’ll see.

There will be ferns on the hillside in the back, which I plan to leave as a ‘wilderness’ portion of my yard, since I can’t really mow it and there really isn’t any grass anyway. I’d like to develop the whole side portion as a wilderness area, or, at least, a naturally landscaped area.

And I want to paint my house. I’m leaning towards a sort of gray/blue with white trim. If I must keep the aluminum siding on for a little while (until I have enough money to restore the wood siding/etc.) then I will paint it.

This might not all happen this year, btw. It probably won’t all happen this year. The plantings will, or should, but not the painting. At least not all of it. If I get the kitchen/bathroom addition painted this year, that would make me very happy. And then, I can work on a side a year until I get the whole thing done.

Of course, there are other things that need to be done, like the porch roof (well, both porch roofs, in truth) and the shed. Those are important things, and more important than painting, in truth. (And weatherproofing for next winter, which includes replacing broken storm windows.) And cost will be a factor in everything I do if I’m going to be able to save any money at all.

So. Other things on the wish list:

Screening in the side porch. This would be nice, since it would enable Miss Mabel to be outside without being outside, if that makes sense. And the cats could conceivably be ‘outside’ as well. And there’s enough room for a small picnic table, especially if we put a porch swing on the front porch. Or at least, room for some comfy chairs.

The shed. Figuring if it’s savable, putting on new siding and fixing it up if it is. Otherwise, down it comes and I have to buy/build a new outdoor building.

A greenhouse. Not sure where, but it would be so nice to have one. Conceivably, if I tore down half of the shed, I could replace the torn down part with a greenhouse. But we’ll see, and that’s in the far future.

A new job, preferably in Brown County. I like my current job, but I would like to have something closer to home, especially in the light of rising gas prices, etc. Or, failing that, being able to quit a full-time job and work part-time and supplement my income with royalties and craft sales.

Winning the lottery would be nice too, but that’s really just a wish.

Tearing off the aluminum siding and restoring my house to wood siding and its former ‘glory.’ This will happen eventually.

Painting the interior of the house. This means tearing off wallpaper too. It’s going to go slow, but we’ll get this one done as well. Eventually.

Getting Space-Pac or some other non-invasive to houses without registers central air conditioning system. ($$$$$$) Which will all wait on winning the lottery, or coming into some extra extra extra money, because it’s not cheap.

Getting a rabbit for fertilizer and compost. Putting in a compost pile, somewhere. A small one would be fine.

(See, if my list is endless, then I will never get done and never get bored with the house.)

Rewiring the house. This should be self-explanatory, but for those of you not in the ‘know’, my house has old wiring. Perfectly serviceable wiring, and we haven’t blown a fuse yet, but still old and needing to be updated.

Purchasing a small tiller, for the flower beds, garden plots, etc. I can’t dig a hole and just plant everything, after all. I am thinking about putting in raised beds for a garden in the front yard and down the hill. Of course, that would be a perfect spot for a small greenhouse as well, but we’ll see. In the future.

Re-graveling the driveway. Which will happen this year, I hope.

Planting asparagus. Need I say more? Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts