Argh! Forgot to post an update.

End count for last night: 47,223.

I'm still adding stuff. I started from the beginning, and my goal is to add stuff until I have 50k. Then I can continue onward. This is happening for three reasons:

1. I needed some build-up to the ending/where I am now (still not sure it's really the ending)

2. I needed some character development.

3. In the beginning, when I started this, I wasn't really certain whose loyalties lay where. I know that now, and am adding with that in mind.

***


Today should be interesting. I have my daily schedule on my Visor, and it includes working in the basement a lot, getting the 100-book auction ready to go. Of course I woke up late, so I'm already behind, but not by much. *g* And I was in the middle of a cool dream, after all. (That I still have to write down.) I'm going to make this dream a story, definitely. It's too cool not to.

------------------


The Dream:

Was a two-parter. I woke up around 7am with the first part, and then fell back asleep and dreamed the next part.

(I was not myself. I was male in this part, female in the second. But the same person, if that helps you any. *g*)

I got a new job. I was the receptionist for a small facial reconstruction/plastic surgery place. I had a dog named Walker, a little mutt I had found, who would either ride home with me (I had some sort of weird golf cart/scooter) or walk home himself. I was there for a year, answering phones, filing stuff, etc., and I had just gotten a raise when the owner, a shriveled old man with leathery skin and hardly any hair, decided to make me general manager. He explained to me the secret of the place, and showed me to the vault where he kept all payment from his patients for the past 400+ years.

It was a treasure trove of stuff, let me tell you. Fur coats, coins, ancient Native American artifacts (or that's what they seemed to be, at least...) Two things really stick in my mind; a black and white vase like the one my parents have in with the cookbooks (or at least they did) which held a strung together baby's skeleton along with various beads and what I think were sapphire beads that just fit in the palm of my hand.

While the owner showed me this stuff, I picked up one of the sapphire beads and it almost looked like water in my hand, or blue jello. (iirc, I said water. They were too cool.) I wanted to keep one, but the owner explained that the items had to stay in the vault because of the particular... terms of the agreement he had made. I got the distinct impression that agreement was with the devil, or some other dark power. (fwiw, I was female in this scene, and, I think, until the end of the first part, except for the ending.)

So he showed me the rest of the vault. Ancient coins, pirate gold, fur coats, including leopard, mink, tiger, etc., and various other oddities that just blew me away. It was a secondhand shop and a museum all in one. The items varied from a Victorian memorial wreath to a brass alladin/genie lamp. Jewelry, you name it, it was there.

Evidently, he had to take precious things in return for facial reconstruction surgery. And he worked wonders. Not only was there no downtime at all, there was a surprisingly low failure rate (usually the people who gave him something they didn't care about.)

I took one of the beads, btw. I couldn't help myself, I held it in the palm of my hand and couldn't put it back. And at the end of the scene, when I was telling my fiancee that I had gotten a raise and a promotion in one, I started to see weird stuff. First, we were sitting on a hill, ready to ride home in my weird golf cart thingy, then my fiancee (I was male for this scene...) was crouched in front of a ouija board that lay on a large tree stump, and then next I was calling for Walker, giving up, and muttering that he must want to walk home tonight.

And then the lights came on in the shop below us, and I saw myself and the owner talking in the vault, and then the "camera" panned up to the row of mounted animals on top of one of the display cases, and there was Walker, mounted and stuffed because I had taken the sapphire bead.

This is when I woke up the first time. When I fell back asleep, I was in the dream again, but the owner had vanished and I was still general manager. (There were other people working there. A girl who had been there before me, I want to say her name was Lucy, and two teenagers to answer the phone, Penny and _____________.) Anyway, Penny had called in sick or something, so I was manning phones for the first time since I got a raise and a real office. Lucy flitted about, doing whatever she did (I never quite understood what her actual job was.) I don't remember a thing about a fiancee this time; I'm not sure at all where she went. Of course, I was female. *g*

Anyway, this blond woman showed up, and said she had called about her stolen fur coat the day before. I found her name on the notepad, but not what it was about, and remembered that the owner had told me this might happen once or twice. And that I had to give them their property, but nothing more, and to not argue with them or anything. (He didn't elaborate as to why I had to do this.) So the woman wanted her goatskin coat, and when I found it, I found that I was so flustered I left the vault door open behind me and she had come in. She was fingering a leopard fur coat.

And before I could do anything, of course, I woke up. *g*

Now, this would be a great horror story, and I'm already getting ideas for it. BUT! It will have to go on the back burner for a little while. I have a full schedule right now, darn it.

More later... (this might be my longest post yet!)

Comments

Popular Posts