And... I went to see The Two Towers tonight.

First thoughts: I liked this one better than the first one. This bodes well for The Return of the King next year.

The battle scenes were fabulous, the scenery to die for, and well... I really and honestly loved Gollum. Although his little spiel with arguing with himself kind of reminded me of the Green Goblin in Spiderman.

I don't know what the critic who thought there wasn't enough character development in this one was thinking; there was plenty, in my opinion. Gimli provided some much-needed humor, as did Gollum, and the little kids in the audience laughed at his every move. (Not that I would recommend this movie for little kids.) I rest my case on the cloak problem, though, from last year; you can't use a cloak for its intended purpose and wear a backpack. But that's really my only "complaint." The Ents were great. I loved the fall of Sarumun's (sp?) tower... Pippin and Merry had great development as somewhat shallow characters into wiser, more responsible characters. And I can't wait to watch The Return of the King. That one I might be forced to stand in line at midnight on opening night to see. :)

I purposely have not reread the trilogy, so I can't compare and contrast very well between them. But now, I'm really fighting the urge to read the last book, just so my vague recollections of what happens next are justified. I can't quite remember; it's been too long. In truth, the strongest recollection I have is a snatch of song from the cartoon... Frodo... of the nine fingers, and the ring of doom...

Oh, I can't wait...

Comments

Popular Posts