Copying off of Jen Shafer, here's what I'm looking for in a house: (This would be my Dream House, of course.)

--stone or brick OR log construction OR a combination of stone/log
--hardwood floors, NO CARPET
--preferably at least 50 years old
--at least two bedrooms (three would be great, or a small den or something that could be converted into an office.)
--one bathroom is fine, but one and a half is better
--two story
--garage, not attached
--largish kitchen (depending on layout, a small kitchen will do if there's room for a table)
--a living room and dining room that aren't attached
--washer/dryer hookup not on the first floor, or in a laundry room, or in the basement
--a yard, preferably acreage, preferably with woods and and a creek. And mature trees
--forced heat, gas is nice
--air conditioning not a priority, I could always add that later
--city water not a priority if the property has a good well/cistern combination
--NOT in a subdivision (This is actually a big priority.)
--not on a main road
--long driveway

Obviously, there are things here I am willing to settle for. There are things on my list that I can add later, like tearing up carpet and putting down wood floors (or uncovering wood floors... you wouldn't believe the houses I've seen listed that have carpet-covered wood floors (wince!) And since I can always continue to live here as I get my house ready to live in, a fixer-upper is fine, up to a point. I can do some stuff, but others I'd have to contract out.

So, anyway, that's where I stand at the moment. Do I believe I could find a place that fulfills all my wants and needs? Yeah... there are plenty of places like that out there. I just have to wait for the right one to become available, that's all. :)

Comments

Popular Posts