Why is it that every time I buy a new piece of computer hardware I have problems? (It's a rhetorical question, really... I'm surprised I haven't had more problems with what I have to work with.)

But anyway. Today we went to Sam's Club, where I had heard they had a jump drive for $50. I expected it to be a 128mb jump drive or some manufacturer I've never heard of, but it was a Lexar Media Secure 256mb jump drive. It was one of the ones that needed a downloaded driver for Win98, which I am using. So I bought it.

I got home, downloaded the driver to this computer, and then realized I had a problem. (Why do they make drivers so damned big?!?) Because of the fact that I had only a floppy disk to transfer between computers, and the fact that the driver was over 5mb, I couldn't transfer the driver between computers.

I mean, this is the reason why I wanted a jump drive to begin with!

So I fiddled for a while trying to make it work, and when I failed, tried to think of what else I could do. After I emailed Vicki with a request for a burned CD, Jessica got home and I asked her if any of her friends had a CD/R drive. One did, and he was home and agreed to burn the driver to a disk for me.

Well, I got the disk (and gave him the rest of the pack of CD/R CDs that came with my old computer whose CD/R drive never did work right) and fiddled with it for a bit (accidentally crashing my poor computer twice.) The actual device is a big big for the USB ports, but if I unplug my mouse and then stick it in, everything works just fine.

So it's there. And I'm just about to transfer something I've always wanted on my upstairs computer--Dreamweaver. :)

Yes. I am happy. It took a bit of doing, but I have achieved transferability! (If that's a word...)

Comments

Popular Posts