I didn't get a lot written over the weekend, but it's moving forward. Slowly. I am past 5k now and heading towards 6k. Which again, isn't any good at all, but I still have plenty of time to finish this book. (And I know where it's going, so that works too.)

Went to a meeting last night at church. They're talking about building an addition, and the architect's drawings are frightful. No kidding, it looks like a BUTT UGLY office building from the 60s tacked onto a cute little stone church. (Or, as someone in the audience muttered, "It looks like an army barracks!") All it needed was an American flag to complete the horror.

Dad forbid me to say anything snarky in public, though, so I'm saying it here. And I will speak to the committee members in private. Because I LOVE this church. It's stone, after all. STONE. :)

The interesting thing is: If this is all approved, etc., they will have to fundraise $250-$350,000. Which means pledges. Which in essence ends up being around $1000 per family.

I don't know about you, but $1000 is a lot of money. And I would guess that at least 60% of the parishoners just wouldn't be able to afford an extra $1000 towards an ugly new addition. I know I wouldn't be able to afford it. (Or rather, I could, but that's house money, and sorry, God, but if the addition's going to be Butt Ugly, I'd rather have someplace to live instead.)

Anyway. I have a feeling that I'll end up going somewhere else to church (or not at all) in protest, if this goes through. Which will be a shame, because the building is fine.

This all stems from the consolidation of parishes, etc., that is going on as there's a shortage of priests. IMO, if they let women become priests, they wouldn't have a shortage. And there wouldn't be any abuse issues, either. (Or at least not as many.) I would be interested in becoming a priest, I think. Heck, I'd be interested in becoming Pope, and then perhaps we can move into the 21st century with everyone else and get over ourselves a bit.

Anyway.

I am reading Wild Fruits by Henry David Thoreau. His writings about Transcendentalism is really interesting. I'm going to research it a bit further. I don't think I've ever read Walden, for example, and I now feel I rather need to.

Comments

Popular Posts