October has been my favorite month of the year ever since I can remember. It's not just that my birthday's in October, but that October heralds the onset of cooler days and cooler nights. The leaves start to turn. You can see your breath in the crisp fall air.

Fall has always been my favorite season. Maybe it's because I really love Halloween and Thanksgiving, and even though the Christmas machine has gotten out of hand, I enjoy the holidays as well. It's the winding down of the year, and the promise of a new one glinting in the distance like an oasis in the desert.

My hardy mums are blooming, and instead of one of the yucky colors I was fearing, they're a shade of light pumpkin, which is completely ok with me. I can even see them from my office window here, if I stretch far enough. Soon, I'll have to cut the rest of the basil and all of the mint and figure out the plant situation for the winter. I have a lot of plants I want to overwinter, including my Gebera Daisies.

It's almost time for the yearly State-of-the-Writer report, so I'll start on that in a week or so.

_________________________________________________
Cat Update:
I know I've mentioned it here before, but the stray momma cat had only one kitten this year. It's a small fluffy bright-eyed gray baby, about Misty's age, I think, and it has been hanging around the house for a week or two now. We don't see it often (I think it sleeps in the shed) but we saw it last night and I saw it this morning, peeking at Mabel with wide golden eyes. It looks healthy enough. No obvious problems, at least.
I have also mentioned the fact that there are a plethora of stray cats in Georgetown. The shelter only takes dogs, and there doesn't seem to be a cat rescue around. (No, I'm not going to volunteer; I can't afford to do it.) But what I'm going to attempt is to tame the kitten (especially if it stays around.) After that, we'll see.
Mischa is okay, I guess. Whenever I isolate him, he loses his voice, so at least I don't have to hear that strident meow all through the night. I did have to tell him to shut up last night, however, when he started to scratch on the door at 1:15am. I fed him canned food two days ago after I couldn't find any evidence that he had gone to the bathroom since I shut him in there, and he's been pooping in the litterbox just fine. No sign of pee anywhere. (But it could be under the litter; this isn't scoopable, so it's hard to tell. At least there's no evidence on the floor.
Cleo goes in to get spayed on Monday. That meant I had to work my schedule around a bit, but I managed to do it without having to take any time off.
Chloe is fine, Misty is fine, Zoey is fine, and Pooh's always fine. I'm so glad Pooh is laid-back. He is my rock! I never have to worry about him.
Dog Update:
Mabel is starting to chew on her pillow. After I washed it, of course. I guess I don't really mind, since it's easily patched and/or taken apart. But I'd rather she chew on something else. (She didn't see the kitten this morning, btw.)
House update:
After Ethan picked at the wall again, I told him that he could help me tear down wallpaper in the downstairs hallway under the stairs. We haven't started yet, but I think he'll enjoy that enough and forget about the wall. (I hope.) And I really need to finish painting the kitchen, since the Pampered Chef party Bekah and I are hosting is next weekend.
Writing update:
I'm just about to hotsync my Dana, and then I'll see how far I am on Ladybug, Ladybug. I still hope to finish it by my birthday. And it's going well, so far. (I might post an excerpt sometime this morning. We'll see how far I get.)

Comments

Popular Posts