**Rant**

Governor Taft just signed a bill limiting the sale of popular cold medicines that contain pseudoephedrine. I find it quite interesting that the Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that anyone who wants to buy say, Advil Cold and Sinus (R, TM)--which happens to be my cold medicine of choice--will have to show a photo ID and sign a log book (no one else seems to be reporting the log book.) There is also a limit of buying nine grams per month (I'm not really sure how they're going to regulate this) which is about 2 20-packs, evidently, without a prescription. (Gee, I bought more than that last month, when both Bekah and I had a cold. I guess I'm a criminal, then!)

This is all thanks to the idiots who produce methamphetamine, of course. And I speak quite seriously when I call them idiots. I'd call them something stronger, but frankly, I'm disgusted that the next time I have a sinus cold, I will either have to switch medicines to something that doesn't contain pseudoephedrine (and believe me, I've tried them all and Advil Cold and Sinus (R, TM) is really the only thing that works for me) or I'm going to have to make it to whatever store when the pharmacy is open, show them my picture ID and possibly sign a log book to get some relief.

Oh, thank you so much you stupid, idiotic people.

There are some stores, of course, that are already doing this. Or, at least, keeping these products behind the counters. I noticed that the last time I went to buy some cold medicine when I was sick this winter. Once, I went to Target to buy some, and even though it was fifteen minutes before the pharmacy's stated closing hour, the pharmacy was closed. In another store, the pharmacy is only open on weekdays, which doesn't really help. CVS seemed to be one of the few stores in the area that didn't have it already hidden, so I decided to buy all my cold medicine there. Now they won't have any choice but to hide it.

I'm sorry, but unless I have a prescription that I'm waiting for, I don't want to walk up to the pharmacy and wait for fifteen minutes while they help me or the twenty other people in line.

And I certainly don't want to go to the doctor's office for a simple head cold, and pay a $15 copay for something that a box of $5 medicine would help. Not a chance! That's one expensive cold.

Hey--I have an idea! Instead of hiding the products that contain pseudoephedrine, why don't the drug companies do what Sudafed (R, TM) seems to have done, and eliminate pseudoephedrine from their popular decongestants? I've seen the boxes of Sudafed (R, TM) on the shelves that proudly exclaim "Contains no pseudoephedrine!" Why isn't everyone else getting into line? What a great public service it would be for the enormous drug companies to curtail the production of a dangerous drug. Yeah. Sounds good to me.

I guess I'll just have to convince myself again that I won't get any more sinus colds if I can't find anything equivalent to Advil Cold and Sinus (R, TM). Hey, it worked once, why wouldn't it work again? Mind over matter, and all of that.

Or, alternately, I could go buy a bunch to tide me over for the next couple of years, but I don't want the police to break down my door and demand to know where my non-existant meth lab is.

I just love it when everyone is punished for the sins of a few. Thanks again, you stupid idiots! Thanks from the very bottom of my toilet.

**Edit** I guess my biggest problem with this is that people are going to feel like they're doing something wrong even if they have a legitimate reason to buy these products. And I really think it's going to hurt sales. I know they've pretty much lost my business in that respect. It's a shame.

**Rant/Off**

Comments

Popular Posts