Once upon a time, I found a really cool skirt at Goodwill. Only when I tried it on, it just didn't work right (and it was a wrap skirt, too.) Now, if the neat embroidery had been across the entire skirt, perhaps I would have made it work. However, it wasn't, and such the cool skirt was rolled up and stuck in my closet to become a piece of my fabric stash.

I've been kicking around an idea of a minimalist doll for a little while now (okay, as long as I've been making these particular dolls, so two weeks.) I'm still intending to do the scrap/patchwork/end-of-day doll that is growing in my mind, but today I decided to try something new.

This is the Grey Lady ghost doll. You know--that Grey Lady. The one everyone talks about, who haunts the halls and battlements of the nearest castle, forever searching for a. the cad who killed her, b. her true love, or c. retribution. Perhaps she is a banshee, ready to foretell the deaths of her distant kin, or merely just the wandering soul of some poor girl who died by violence.

Either way, she is actually working out quite nicely. I am very pleased with how her face ended up--it was a bit difficult to get the embroidery to fit in the proper places to hint at eyes and a mouth. (Her eyes are lightly needlesculpted, something that isn't very evident in the picture.) I haven't decided if she's going to wear a skirt or not--I'm leaning towards not, since her entire body will be with the embroidered fabric. But maybe so. We'll see.

Even though all I have left are her arms and legs, I doubt I'll get her done tonight, since I do have to get up early to go to Burlington tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts