It is my sister Emily's fault that I was up until after 1am last night.

See, she sent me a conversation on Etsy last week, wondering if I could create a sweater unicorn. I wasn't sure, so I said I would try and see what happened.

Well, last night around 11pm I wasn't tired at all, so I sat down on my bed and started fiddling with the pattern I had initially come up with after her email. Well, after cutting out pieces that looked like they would work okay, of course I couldn't just leave them there and go to bed. I had to make a prototype to see if my pattern would work.

I wasn't certain, because there was no head grommet in the pattern I designed. It's a really simple pattern, actually. It is actually just as simple as it looks! There are no surprises whatsoever.

So last night after midnight I was in my comfy chair in my office, stuffing pattern pieces and then putting it all together. 1am came and passed, and I had assembled everything, but needed the mane, tail, and eyes. So I decided to wait until this morning to finish my very first unicorn.

She is made out of vintage fabric from my scrap box, actually. She stands 10" tall if you count her crocheted horn (I couldn't think of any other way to do it that would drive me nuts), 9" tall if you don't. She has vintage buttons on all four legs, which are jointed. Her hair is handspun purple shaded wool.

The only real issue I had with the pattern was that I stuffed the body very firmly, and stuffed the legs just as firmly. That meant she had a very big hind end before I disguised it with the fluffiness of her tail.

See?



Okay, you can't really tell in the picture. But trust me. It was quite large.

Alternately, I think I would not stuff the back end so firmly, just so I can make it a bit less noticeable. Because I am already planning to make another one, of course!

Thanks so much, Emily. Maybe I should name this first unicorn after you! :)

Incidentally, it is 85 already. And it didn't rain last night at all, either. However, there's a chance of rain the next four days.

Comments

Popular Posts