It's raining. Again!

This is getting a bit irritating. It was sunny all day, and my garden was drying out nicely. I really need to till it again so I can plant my tomatoes, the sweet potatoes, and probably the cucumbers and zucchini and squash and beans in the next week! But every time I say "One more day," it rains that night. And I have to wait another day. And then another.

Grrrrr.

On my way home from work today, I had a great idea. See, Ethan has said that he'd like his own garden, and I think that's a great thing for him to have. The question was, though, where to put it? I still have the untilled space behind the big garden, but I had half-decided to leave it alone this year and expand next year, if necessary. After all, I still have to dig up the strip in front of the front porch for all the sunflowers and some gourds, and I had every intention of expanding the tiny flowerbed next to the well a bit this year as well. (No pun intended, really.)

So, I thought--what if I planted some of the gourds out back? And what if I gave Ethan a garden space out back too? And what if I made a trellis for the rest of the gourds (and maybe pumpkins too--Ethan would like that) that was shaped like a house? (Out of bamboo, of course.)

I am envisioning the house, the sandbox, and Ethan's garden all in one square of space.

The house would be made out of bamboo, and fairly simple to create, I'd think, with probably a flat roof and trellis walls. The gourd and pumpkin vines would grow up over and around the walls all summer long, and I bet by August the house would be covered. (Especially if the birds' nest gourd grows as well as the one plant I had last year. I think I have six pots of plants this year.)

Not to mention it would also look very cute. :)

And Bekah could keep Ethan's outside toys inside the little house, instead of leaving them out lying around to clutter up the backyard, too. Yay!

Thank goodness I have a pretty much inexhaustible (able?) supply of bamboo!

So the trick will be that I should really have this all set and finished (except for the planting of the garden part--Ethan can help with that) by the time they get back from vacation.

Luckily I have a week off in the middle, there... coolness.

This is, of course, the first step in making the stone path and the space around the stone path and the well one big skinny garden. I think eventually it will look quite nice.

Comments

Popular Posts