Okay, according to Bekah, she's moving out sometime in May. That means it will be June before I can start anything pertinent in the house (destruction-wise), and more than likely fall before I really do start anything, due to the heat of next summer.

Here is my current thinking:

(I will have three extra rooms. The Green Room and two bedrooms upstairs.)

The dining room will become the music room, but I'm leaning towards just taking a leaf out of the table and leaving the table in place. It's not hurting anyone, it's a nice table, and it shouldn't be in the way. I may move it a bit closer to under the center of the chandelier. That would give me more floor space in front of the fireplace for other things, like practice space. And practice space is easily moved if I need to add leaves when I have a dinner party, which happens so often, you know. /sarcasm

The current living room will become the library/computer room. My computer and desk will come downstairs. I will build those floor-to-ceiling bookcases Dad envisioned flanking the stained glass window for my books (not difficult; the woodwork is pine, so I'm not thinking anything fancy.) I am also thinking that it would be nice to move the china cabinet into the library instead of the music room. It could fit along one wall, I think. Basically, I envision this room with a comfy reading chair, plenty of books, and my library table, which is actually already in place.

The Green Room will become the living room, with a real couch (probably) and/or comfy loveseat. The only issue I see is that the only plug is on the wall where the couch would have to go, unless the couch sticks out from the wall, which would also work. A portion of the Green Room will become a cat tree/toy area. Mabel can have a pillow in this room as well. The pillow will probably end up being one of the cushions from the papasan couch with a slipcover that I can sew, now that I think about it.

The entry room will remain as it is, with the exception of the absence of Ethan's computer and hopefully the desk as well (I'm going to insist, I think. *grin*) My bikes can be stored on that wall quite nicely, and with easy access to the outside door.

The basement needs a dehumidifier, but I hate the thought of using up that much more electricity. I would like to finish cleaning it, though. There's not really that much left to do, since we got the majority of it when Mom and Dad came to help clean that one day. I would like to go through and decide on what to do with the notgarbage containers, though.

I'm happy with the kitchen's layout, so it can stay as it is, at least for the moment. It would be nice to build floor-to-ceiling shelves for the kitchen, however, but then I'd have to find a place for the shelves that are there now. So who knows. Ditto on the laundry room.

The bathroom
will have the 'new' sink, and I will replace both toilet and tub eventually. Layout will essentially remain the same.

Upstairs, my bedroom will remain my bedroom. With the absence of my computer in my office, it will officially become my studio, and I will rearrange a bit so I'm not as tight since I'll have an extra wall. This will also give me room for the Willcox & Gibbs treadle sewing machine that is now in an awkward position in the hallway.

I am thinking that since I like the fact that my fiction books are upstairs, I'll leave them in the upstairs hallway and have nonfiction in the library. Or who knows? I might change my mind.

The upstairs bathroom will need some plumbing work to become a bathroom again. I'm in no rush. If I had my way, I'd take the clawfoot tub downstairs (hahahaha) and put a freestanding shower in the upstairs bathroom. I would need lots of very strong men for this, however, and it might not be a good idea. But maybe someday a circus will come to town and I can hire the strongmen. :) The toilet needs to be replaced or fixed or whatever, but I like the sink, so it stays.

I would like to have a chair and maybe a small table on the upstairs landing, perhaps, just to sit in if I want to do so, but we'll see.

Bekah's room will become the guestroom, since I really don't need it to be anything else. I can store things, like the upstairs vacuum cleaner, in one of the two closets in that room. And one of the closets might become overflow for fabric, if needed.

Ethan's room will become the 'treasure room', or, rather, the room where I stick furniture I don't have space for yet, stuff that needs some work that won't survive in the shed, or stuff like that. It will not be the junk room, but for example, it would be nice to have a spot to store my rope bed until I can strip off the paint and refinish it.

Outside, both the front porch and the side porch needs some rearranging. I want to put the garbage can out back to free up some space once I get a garbage can with wheels, and I'd really love to screen in the side porch. But if I do that, I'd definitely want a place to sit down, etc., so the current setup wouldn't work. What I really need to do is make sure both porches don't end up being catch-alls for stuff I don't know what to do with quite yet.

And I probably shouldn't even talk about the shed. We were supposed to put on a new roof this year, but there was no way in hell I would do that in 90+ degree weather. And there's the small fact that we have to get into the neighbors' yard to get to the other side of the shed, too. And their apple tree, which grows right up against the shed and which would have to be trimmed quite a bit. (I don't really mind the apple tree, of course. It's an apple tree, after all.) If I had my druthers, I'd take off the front half of the shed and save the back half (it's a built-on shed, so that's actually possible.) I'd then get one of those carpark thingys (What are they called?) and put it where the front half of the shed once was. Then I would have a place to park my car under something, and it would be fairly sheltered. But we'll see. Every time I look at it I change my mind.

And that's the plan, at least today. :)

Comments

Popular Posts