Well, I haven't announced it here yet, but I ordered a harp from Blevins Harps--a double strung harp in walnut. It was supposed to arrive on Monday, which would have given me today and tomorrow to finish the dining room and set everything up. (Notice I said was supposed to arrive, would have--)

When I pulled into the driveway last night, there was a harp-shaped box on my porch, waiting for me. Needless to say, I didn't get anything done last night at all, except for unpacking, tuning and playing.

And just a note on the packing--I have never seen something so well packed in my life. It took me 20 minutes just to remove all the packing around the harp. I felt like I was helping something give birth. ;)

(Lots of packing is a good thing, of course!)

I had researched, and checked prices and such, and Blevins harps were very well recommended. I knew I wanted a lap harp for the portability, and I also knew that it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a nylon strung harp--as well as a wire strung (yes, Stoney End had a double strung wire floor harp and made me a deal on it I couldn't refuse)--but after reading everything I could about them, I knew I wanted a double strung harp.

When I found out that Blevins Harps had a discounted page, I went over there to look, and absolutely fell in love with the Skyedancer 52. And there was one on the discounted page! The picture definitely did not do this harp justice. Listening to it being played over the phone didn't do it justice either. It has a fabulous lively tone. If I can, I'll post a sound clip sometime this weekend.

And I have to mention that talking to Cindy Kleinstuber Blevins and Dwight Blevins as well really made me happy to be able to buy a harp from them. They are so nice!


I love the graining of the wood. :)

It took me about an hour or so to tune it last night, and then probably another 45 minutes to retune since the strings had been loosened for travel and they tend to have to adapt. However, this morning I detected no slippage at all--I might have to touch one or two up, but otherwise everything sounded good to me. Which is impressive!

I played last night, of course, retuning a bit here and there, and spent the better part of an hour trying to see if my fingers remembered harp strings after being away from them for so long. By the time I quit for the night (I can only serenade Chloe so long before she starts getting annoyed, evidently), I was starting to remember. Now, the trick will be to keep remembering. I'm going to purchase a couple of learn to play the harp books so I can relearn the proper finger positions, etc.

So anyway, my harp. :)

EDIT: My harp's name is Morgan. That way, I don't have to worry about the gender!

Comments

oohhh yay for the harp stork!!!!! congrats!!!

Popular Posts