There isn't anything on the internet (as far as I can find, at least) that says how to season a cast iron teapot.

Now with cast iron pans and such, seasoning is a bit more simple, and there are quite a few websites written about that. But you can't use oils or fats to season a teapot--that would flavor the tea! (Not to mention the fact that it would probably taste nasty.)

After a bit of thought and speculation, I decided to use tea to flavor my teapot. So I filled a big stockpot up with water, sacrificed a bunch of stale looseleaf tea (and this is my reminder that as I continue this seasoning, to use teabags!) and boiled my teapot in the pot full of tea for over an hour. My thought on this was that it's impossible to get the underside of the lid seasoned just making tea. It would not be touched by the tea. And therefore, it would rust.

And it's working! I see black instead of grey, and even the outside of the teapot changed colors a bit. It's not completely covered yet inside, but I think it will help prevent rust as time goes on; it's definitely a high-maintenance type of teapot, and probably would be best if it was an everyday-use teapot, just so it gets a nice seasoning. But you would definitely have to make the tea in the teapot, not just use it to boil water.

I'm not sure what the original intention was, or even if I'm doing this right, but it works okay so far.

The first pot of tea I boiled in the teapot, however, was lemon flavored black tea, and it came out looking like india ink. I'm not kidding. Very strange!

I am also cleaning the dining room, don't worry. Unfortunately, it's going to take me longer than I expected to finish it. I do have a cleared out spot or two now, however, so that's good.

Comments

Unknown said…
You are right in the way you seasoned your teapot. It takes several "tea baths" before the teapot is completely seasoned. I have two cast iron teapots; one for green tea and one for black tea. Before purchasing them, I made sure that the inside of the lid and pot had a ceramic glaze to help prevent rust.

Popular Posts