I had every intention of spending the day painting, but Dad came by and said there was an auction up the road, so I went with him. I'm glad I did, because I got some great bargains: two oak chairs $5/each, a huge stand-up collapsible drying rack for $12.50 (a twin of mine went for over $100 at an auction I went to last year), two rolling pins ($10/each), a wooden salt box ($10), a nail from when the Georgetown courthouse burned down in 1977 with a tag identifying it ($10), a nice cane bottom oak chair with arms for $22.50, and a little basket full of sewing scissors, hat pins, and a pair of tweezers for free (from one of Dad's boxlots.)

Dad got some cool stuff to, including a bamboo sewing stand (I liked it a lot too, but I didn't think it would survive with cats in the house) and a nice little nightstand. Oh, and a chalk French Bulldog. :) And some other stuff as well.

I have been wanting to get a couple more chairs, especially sturdy ones we can stand on when we need to. Two of the ones we're using in the kitchen are really valuable antiques, so I would hesitate to stand on them lest they break. So getting two nice sturdy ones for $10 was a deal.

Tomorrow is Burlington. We're going, but I'm only bringing $50.

After the auction and lunch, I did manage to paint one whole shelf of the bookcase that will be in the kitchen. (Top, bottom, back, and both sides. It takes time.) I also painted the bottom of the next shelf.

I did manage to stop at the local flower place today (I've been meaning to stop all week) and purchase $16.00 worth of flowers and herbs. The herbs I got were interesting: a tricolor sage, sorrel, rue, St. John's Wort, another apple mint, and curry. (Yes, curry! It looks like lavender, but when you rub the leaves they smell like... curry. Weird! But cool.) I was attempting for all perrenials, but the curry isn't a perrenial, so I will put it in a pot and take it in for the winter. I wonder if it will make my house smell like curry. (There are worse smells!)

But now I have to get ready to get up early tomorrow, and write a bit before I head to bed.

Comments

Popular Posts