I planted the lettuce and one variety of spinach in short rows this year. As you can see, they still came up in clumps, but thinning them won't be a problem once they're a bit bigger. Next year, I'll actually till this section, and the dirt will be a lot nicer to work with, growing-wise. I think it was too lumpy this year and that is why I have clumps of lettuce and only about five spinach plants, argh!






The little green things in the midst of the dead stumps of hibiscus are sprouts! At least six, maybe seven this year, which is great! That means this particular plant doubled itself. Wow. I know they spread, but not quite that fast. :)

This is a red and white one. I have to check the others and see if we have signs of life there as well--I forgot to check while I was out taking pics.


My thyme is growing like weeds between the stones where I planted it last year. I will definitely have plenty of thyme forever. And you can see the lemon balm in the bottom right hand corner of the picture--it's growing quite well as well. (And the lemon balm I planted around the front porch looks fabulous!)








My sweet peas are already going nuts, as you can see--one plant didn't ever die over the winter, but spent the winter green and growing under the porch. I am considering leaving the old sunflower stalks in the ground and using them for a trellis after I plant the new sunflower seeds (which I could do any day now) and the plants begin to grow. And that would also aid the sweet peas in their quest to take over the entire front porch (not that I would mind!)





Last, but not least, here is a flower that is blooming in the little flowerbed I dug out last year beside the well. It's definitely not something that just sprouted, but I have no idea what it is or where it came from. But it's the prettiest color!

I will have to wait and see if there were any other perrenials in that bed. I just threw in a bunch of seeds and waited to see what would happen.

Now I'm going to work on the dolls for a bit before going back outside to play some more. I did sow most of my herb seeds today, using the empty aquarium as a makeshift cold frame/hothouse.

Comments

it all looks good to me

Popular Posts