My feet are very tired. Very, very tired. However, the first Burlington was a blast--wonderful weather, lots of cool stuff to drool over, and a huge crowd, too!

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going shopping at Burlington. And it wouldn't even be expensive stuff that I would buy--the sheer volume of stuff is overwhelming.

I do have something to crow over, however. Well, two things, actually. No, three, in fact.

The first thing I bought (with a little prompting from Dad) was a very old black wool cape in just about mint condition (I'm not kidding--I've never seen one in such good condition before.) It has a black satin lining and what seems to be a red silk cross sewn inside. I'm not sure it was a nurse's cape--I've had those before and this one doesn't look like one at all. It does have a tag, however, and once I decode what it says (you can read part of it, but the rest (and pertinent part, of course) is messed up a little) I might get some clues. I do know it was made by a military/services company in Columbus, OH. Either way, it was a steal at $30.

My second find of the day was a Remington Noiseless Portable typewriter (a quick look up of the serial number here shows that it's from 1935.) for $10. Nice! I actually already have one of these (another quick lookup shows that my other one is from--whoops! My other one is an Underwood Noiseless #77. Huh. Weird! I thought I had a Remington. Oh well. Maybe I won't be selling it after all!

My third--well, remember how I said I wouldn't buy any more sewing machines?


Unless I found a Singer Featherweight for $20 at Goodwill? Well, it wasn't $20, or at Goodwill, but let me put it this way: We saw four Singer Featherweights at Burlington this month. Two of the four were there last year for $425 and $375, respectively. The third came complete with the folding Featherweight sewing table, attachments and everything, for $475. (Which was actually a bargain.) I tell you, people get weird about Singer Featherweights.

The fourth one I bought. :)

For $125. :)

Now, granted, I took a gamble. When I saw it for $155, I--of course--wanted to know if it worked or not. So Dad and I plugged it in, only to find out that it wouldn't work. :( However, since there aren't many moving parts on these sewing machines, and everything else looked pretty good, I thought that I could probably find out what was wrong and make it work again. So I wrote the guy a check (eep!) and brought it back to Mom and Dad's house, where Dad proceeded to work on the sewing machine he bought (a child's Stitchwell from the 20s) and I proceeded to work on mine. And I did figure out what was wrong (it will take me a little research to fix it--but there are manuals online. However, I did get it to work. :)

Look at how cute and little it is compared to my regular sized sewing machine! Wow. (It came with its case, too, which is nice! And it's in good condition, other than some lint.)

I just can't get over how tiny it looks compared to my regular machine!

That was my happy early birthday present to myself, incidently. :)

I also got a small basket that matches two of the other sized baskets I have, and an old bentwood cane. And of course, 14 items off the $12/10 vintage linen table. (I couldn't pass up the two additional items--one of which is a nice old oriental style rug.) And kettle corn, of course, which is a must if anyone who reads this happens to make it to Burlington.

Now I guess I can cross something off on my list of 100 things to do before I die: #89 Find a Singer Featherweight sewing machine I can afford (that works!) (Obviously as you can see, I was running out of things to put on my list. *g*)

EDIT: Fixed it! I found a manual online which told me what was wrong--the bobbin mechanism had frozen. I got it loose and now it works just fine!

Comments

R said…
Glad to see there is another Featherweight Fanatic out there. :)

Popular Posts