So I have been kicking around this question for a while now, but I haven't had the time to find out the answer until now.

Since I have a couple of tan/fleshtone cashmere sweaters that are to be used for fabric, I wondered if it was possible to use them for needlescuplted dolls.

My first needlescuplted doll was Seraphina, who I sold with the first (and only) dragon I ever made (from a variation of this pattern.) She wasn't very good, and I don't have a good picture of her at all. But she sold for $500 with the dragon, which both embarrassed and delighted a novice dollmaker. (This was a long, long time ago, mind you, and I hadn't made many complicated dolls at all.)

Fast forward a bit, and I made another fantasy-related needlesculpted doll whose name I have, alas, forgotten. But I have a nice picture of her, at least.

Again, she wasn't the best needlesculted doll in the world, but she was an improvement over Sera. And then--for reasons I'm still not sure about, I moved away from attempting any more and started making more primitive style cloth dolls, starting with Edara here on the left.

And there I pretty much stayed, for five or six years, working from one or two original patterns and not much else.

Lately, though, I've been wanting to do something a bit more complicated. And I've been kicking around that idea about the cashmere 'skin', and how, exactly, that would work.

I like the idea of using cashmere, provided it wasn't too fuzzy to use, and I like the idea of recycling to make my dolls.

So yesterday, after finishing Carrion, I sat down and drew a head pattern to see if my idea would work. I'm rather pleased at how her head (at least) turned out. And I have an idea about her body as well--I'm finally going to attempt actual joints.

This is Meg:

Comments

Popular Posts