Ohhhh, another late night at the Saturday night auction last night, and we even left earlier (Okay, 9:30pm is still earlier than the first time.)

If this becomes a habit, I'll definitely have to put a set limit on spending in my budget.

I didn't stay for the typewriter--it was broken and not in good shape anyway. I bid on but did not win the Singer Treadle Sewing Machine (It was unusual in that it had a wooden base and not a cast iron base like every other one I've ever seen has had, but it was a bit rusty (although everything worked.) I passed up the nice drop leaf (Maple?) table for $50--that's how much it went for, so who knows how much it would have gone up to if I would have kept bidding, and I really don't have a spot for it at the moment--like I have spots for anything else I bought!), I didn't stay for the teal with chrome White sewing machine, and the cookie cutters went for $27.50 a bag. Yikes.

I only bought two things. Dad bought one thing--a cedar chest made out of solid cedar which is supposed to fit in my house somewhere (It's about 4 ft long and HUGE and it probably weighs 300 lbs or so.)

I bought a porcelain top cabinet to go with my porcelain top table. It's not here yet either; I'll post pics later. But it's cute; it has drawers for stuff, and a bread keeper in one deep drawer. It has a cutting board too, and it is painted (boo) tan and the porcelain has green around the edges.

I also bought this:How could I pass it up? It's my early birthday present. Or something. Because normally I wouldn't pay $100 for a painting, but I did. (I was bidding against a dealer, too.) It is unsigned, and oil on board (according to the gallery tag on the back) but it does seem I've seen this picture before somewhere. Does anyone recognize it? I tried googling 'girl book painting' last night, but came up with nothing. Maybe it's the expression on her face that looks familiar.


She will actually go quite well with this print, which is by Gentilini and it's called Marti Gras. (Don't mind the glare--I couldn't get into the right position.)

But anyway, that's just something I don't normally buy. Real Paintings! Ack. I think that's only the third real painting I own, and definitely the most expensive one.

(I have this thing about paintings of girls, I guess. There was one painting at a gallery in New Richmond that was just fabulous of a little girl, but it was something like $500. Yikes!)

I guess I can count it in as an investment, even though I don't know who painted it (yet.) And it could be a student's copy of an oldie, too; who knows. I just like it.

Comments

Popular Posts