Well, I now own three spinning wheels*.

Yes, I hear you laughing.

It is quite pretty, though. It has an unusual flyer, cast iron parts, and is mostly made of oak. (I say mostly, because some parts don't look like oak but might be.


I paid $100 for it. Dad didn't think it was very old, but I think it is. I posted more pictures at my Flickr account if anyone wants to venture an opinion. It takes up less space than the Country Craftsman, but I really don't think it's any smaller. The wheel is just closer to the MOA, etc. (The distaff is stuck in place; I'm going to have to fix that. But otherwise, it's a really nice wheel and seems to work quite nicely. Maybe I will actually learn how to spin on this one!)

And what else did I buy? Two old Samsonite leather suitcases for $2 (there were three in the lot, but I gave the small, briefcase sized one to Ethan), a bushel basket of glasses for $2, and an little oak table/nightstand for $9. I use the suitcases for yarn, and heck, $2 is a cheap. The basket of glasses had celluloid bowls in the bottom that have sold on ebay for $5/each (I have two), and it also contained vintage juice glasses, some tea glasses with flowers on them, some plain glasses, and a Jadeite coffee mug (D handle, for anyone who cares.) Most of the glasses are collectible and can be sold. I also found two old pottery nursery rhyme bowls in the bottom of the basket, and three white Fire King cereal bowls. (I actually feed the cats in white Fire King cereal bowls, haha.) I actually made money on the basket of glasses already, because I sold someone three glasses for $4.

It was very, very warm there, though. I left around 1:20pm and got home around 3pm (I stopped at Mom and Dad's since it was right down the road.) I'm glad I didn't stay until the Bitter End, although I'm sure the people who did stay got some great bargains.

(I did not buy the brass bed for $25, THANK GOD. Or the dining room set (which I really liked, but wouldn't have fit in my decorating scheme anyway), or some of the other stuff that went really cheap.)

Before I went to the auction, I loaded up my car with the Country Craftsman spinning wheel, the floor inkle loom, two quilts, a rack for the quilts, my Griswold griddle, a big cast iron pot, six mixing bowls (one set of three, one set of two, and one yellow Pyrex), a pair of old granny-style shoes, two copper colanders, four walkingsticks, a cute cup and saucer set (two sets of cups and saucers), and a small teapot. I think that's everything. It would be nice to make at least $300, but I'm not going to hold my breath, since that would entail selling the spinning wheel and probably something else expensive too. But we'll see.



*Hopefully, I will sell the Country Craftsman at Burlington tomorrow and feel better about the whole thing.

Comments

Grey said…
I'm not laughing. I'm smiling in solidarity.
Jennifer said…
At least it's not three pianos! :)

If I could *learn to spin* I might actually get somewhere with them, darn it all. I'm sure what I'm doing wrong is something very, very simple.

Popular Posts