Okay. The $46 violin has been tuned. I didn't change the strings, because I wanted to see how they sounded. (I do have extra violin strings here already; two different brands.) I also wanted to compare the G and D strings' sounds with my blue violin's G and D strings.

Well, there is a noticeable difference (to me, at least.) The blue violin sounds muted and flat on the G string especially. The new violin (which is an Anton Breton student violin; evidently not that bad from what I'm reading) has more resonance. A lot more resonance. (This one in particular has a 1994 date in it.)

Now, it could be the blue violin's strings; I could change the strings and see if that helps. But I'm wondering if it's the violin itself. Granted, you pretty much get what you pay for when you buy an $18 violin*.

And it's a bit hard to do experiments on a cheap violin when it's my only one, so now I can experiment away, I guess!

I started this on June 20th; I'm getting the hang of the fingerings now for certain songs. I'm also anticipating notes, now, which is nice. I like it when I start to do that, because it makes it easier to play whatever song I'm trying to play. Thanks to Jami, I am getting better with the bow, too. My bow seems to suck up rosin like water, though; I am hoping it will settle down soon. (I've owned it for about 12 years, I think, and never really used it, so it's probably only had rosin on it once.) And in those 16 days, I have missed practice twice. I am getting about 30 minutes (at least) per day right now.

(You would think I could do 15 minutes of yoga, then. Sheesh.)

Oh, I forgot to add to the Lawrenceburg post that I saw a dulcimer there, too. Only the guy who was selling it had it labeled as a guitar. A mountain dulcimer. At the very least, he could have Googled it first. (It wasn't a very good one, either.) But anyway.


*unless, of course, you are really, really lucky.

Comments

Popular Posts