The oatmeal bread turned out wonderfully. I'm definitely going to make it again. Dad thought that it would make good scones, and I agree; it definitely would. I'll have to try that too. You could also add a bit of cinnamon to the recipe to make it more breakfast-like (for scones), too. Yum! Definitely a great recipe.

I picked nine cucumbers and 1lb. of beans tonight. That means I have a pound and a half of beans in the fridge. Thanks to everyone on Livejournal, I now have lots of cucumber recipes to go through, too. I also picked one zucchini. I really have to start eating those.

I've decided that I'm going to let the zucchini in the kitchen garden grow to freeze for zucchini bread; I'm really getting plenty in the big garden, so I think that will be fine.

I really have to tie up the tomatoes again; they are starting to sprawl and that's not a good thing. And the squash--I swear--grew three feet in two days. It may actually stretch from end to end of the garden if it keeps this up; it doesn't have but five feet left to go before it's in the grass. Yikes!

And I'm going to try again with a sourdough starter (from Fermented Treasures, Grey) as well as a yogurt starter since I will have blackberries to eat Quite Soon. I ordered Viili and Greek yogurt because I just had to try the Greek and the Viili sounded good, too. I also ordered a Camaldoli sourdough starter. Hopefully I will do better this time in keeping them alive.

And I'm still fiddling. I have Shortenin' Bread down pat, and I'm still working on Simple Gifts. I know the tune, and I can play it, but when I try to record myself, I always mess up. Which just figures!

Comments

Grey said…
I'm so glad you like the bread! I think that's one for the cook book, then. :)

I had to give up the sourdough, because my guys just didnt like it as much.

Buuuut, I finally broke down and bought a yogurt maker. I like the counter yogurt a lot, but my family likes the thicker, Greek-style yogurt better.
Jennifer said…
Definitely! :)

Hey, we could write it together. A soup and bread cookbook.

I really wanted the Ozark one that made good pancakes, but we'll see how I do with this one first. I don't think I can justify having two at a time.

What kind of yogurt maker did you buy? (I'm going to email you too in case you don't see this.) I have been looking at them. I like the ones with the little glass jars. But, since my oven stays an even 100 degrees all the time (when it's not on, that is), I'm not sure if I can just use that. Or even my crockpot. I don't know!

Popular Posts