Well, it's something like 90 out there and very, very hot, but I'm back in one piece from Burlington. It was actually quite busy for most of the day; we didn't have hordes, but there were people walking around up to the end.

This was the best month yet. Not only did I sell the other spinning wheel, I also sold quite a few bags of jewelry supplies--vintage rhinestones, beads, etc. that came from the auction where I bought a couple of box lots two years ago. I spent almost two hours pricing them yesterday afternoon, and my efforts paid off. In fact, I came with three big boxes and left with two empty. Not shabby at all!

I spent $62--$35 of that was on a springerle rolling pin that was made in Germany and has some really unusual carvings--like a snake!--on it. It's not ancient, but it has some age, and since it was to keep, I decided to go ahead and buy it. I also found an 11-cup cast iron mini-muffin pan, marked Made in USA but nothing else; the muffins are actually the same size as the 6-cup Lodge muffin pan I have, so now I can make a batch and a half. It's kind of odd that there are 11 instead of 12, though, although from looking it up, that seems to be normal. Anyway, it was $12.

This month at Burlington, I boggled over vintage clothing. I haven't seen that much vintage clothing at Burlington for at least ten years. One new seller--and I hope they're back next month--had four double racks of vintage clothing and costumes; I could have easily spent $100 there without blinking, but I was good and only bought two things. One is a black velvet coat* I'm going to have to try on to see if the shoulders are too tight and the other is a pair of heavy wool pants. They are made by Sporta Arnstorf (I checked after I got them out of the car and they are labeled.) These are pants that you would wear outside in -20 degree weather and not be uncomfortable at all. They also looked like they would fit me, so we'll see.

I honestly don't know if these guys bought out a costume shop, or if someone who had collected vintage clothing just suddenly decided to sell their collection. Nothing was terribly expensive. Not everything was in great condition, but the two pieces I bought were in perfect condition.

I passed on the Civil War reenactment costume; I probably should have bought it, because it was only $38--did I mention that the prices were ten years ago, too? The two pieces I bought cost me a whole $15--I also passed on a decent vintage crepe cape for $20; if they are there in September, I'm going to have to bring money just for their stuff.

Not everything was costume; some of it was authentically old; there was a lot from the 20s-40s, and a nice silk shirtwaist that was probably from the teens. There was also one very old authentic Civil War dress--it was a day dress, not in the best of shape or else I might have been tempted. Heck, I was tempted by the whole lot.

My biggest issue as to what I didn't buy was that I tend to buy to keep nowadays, and there wasn't much there that I would have actually worn.

Otherwise, the amount of vintage clothing there today made me wonder if the market will open up again; I used to find flapper dresses, silk velvet, and ball gowns at Burlington for a song, but then they vanished from the show. The last vintage clothing piece I bought at Burlington was either my black wool cape or the two Civil War dresses (reproductions) I already have; my collection at one time was almost a hundred pieces. (Which might not seem large to some people, but considering I lived in one bedroom at the time, there wasn't much room left for my clothes.

I didn't sell either of the vintage dresses I brought, but everyone looked at the sequined one (again), and quite a few people liked the silk velvet dress with rabbit fur (I think) trim around the neckline. Maybe they'll go next time.

So anyway, since I sold both spinning wheels, I am down to the little one (which I intend to keep, unless I decide to put something else in its place) and that frees up some space. I'm really happy at how well the jewelry supplies and beads sold, too; I'd bought that whole lot to sell, after all, and I've made my money back now plus some, which is good.

All in all, a good, if tiring, day. And I decided that since I'm already hot and sweaty, I'm going to make a good effort to mow the front lawn tonight so I can just jump in the shower after I'm done and not have to do anything but pick from the garden tomorrow. (Outside, that is.) I still have bread to bake, after all, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow afternoon, too, so I just hope I don't end up with heatstroke. (I'll be careful; I promise.)


*Edit, a bit later--I got my bag out of the car, and tried on the coat. IT FITS. Like, perfectly. I think I have a new good coat. It is so cool. I haven't tried on the pants yet.

Comments

Popular Posts