76% humidity upstairs and 80 degrees last night made me wrestle out my air conditioner and put it in the window @ 9pm just so I could sleep comfortably. When the humidity practically matches the temperature, that's not always a good thing.

I picked all of the Potimarron squash last night because I realized the vine was dead. Two of them already had holes from the various bugs--they are salvageable, though--but the others were untouched. Those I will leave to develop their flavors a bit more. I am contemplating picking the Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato squash too, since they were supposed to be ripe around the same time (which would be mid-to-late August.) The Fordhook Acorn squash is also able to be eaten now, evidently, so I could conceivably start picking them too, even though the vines aren't dead yet. Obviously, I'd leave the little ones on the vines until they die, but the big ones can be picked. Expect pictures when I pick them, because I have huge squash this year!

Picked four tomatoes, too, and there are more ripening in the garden. The Mortgage Lifter plant has completely destroyed the tomato cage it is in; the poor plant is on the ground. Luckily, two of the largest tomatoes are ripening, so maybe when I pick those, I can pull the plant back up. We'll see.

No sign of the tomato blight yet, which is good. Other people have lost their entire crops already, which is not good. In fact, my tomatoes look fabulous at the moment, with only small amount of yellowing leaves (I'd guess due to the amount of rain we've had.)

I will be digging up potatoes this weekend, too.

Comments

Popular Posts