I was only four minutes late. That's an improvement. Next week won't matter, because we're not having a staff meeting.

Okay, so I've been thinking. The average doll I make (12-14" tall) takes less than 1/4 yard of material. I think I could get 3 dolls per 1/4 yard. I'm trying to picture it in my mind. I tend to use as much material as I can, rearranging pieces until I get everything situated so I don't have much scrap left over. So anyway... If I can do 3 dolls per 1/4 yard, that means I can do a dozen dolls per yard. That's probably a low estimate, actually, so let's say 14. I'm not sure how many yards a 20 gallon container holds, but I'd say it's quite a few. I probably have enough body material to make 250 dolls, if not more. Eeek.

I'm aiming to make a doll a week, and even if I average in special orders, that's only about 60 a year. That means I don't have to buy body material for four years. Eeek again. And if I make the legs, or the arms out of different fabric, that would be even longer...

This is what happens when you aren't organized.

You see, I knew I had muslin for doll bodies, but I didn't know where it was. And instead of finding it, I just bought more, figuring I'd need it eventually. I did this with a lot of stuff, including books. I'd forget I owned something, buy it again, and end up with two copies. This is how I ended up with 12 pairs of scissors, but I will remain convinced that you can never have too many pairs of scissors. *g*

So, I'll run out of body material in 2005 or later. Geez. I'm not sure I have enough room to store four years' supply of fabric!!

And that's only one container. There are eleven. Plus some. There will probably be twelve in the end. I also have a container full of denim too. And one that is probably more like 30 gallons full of silky/satiny fabrics. One full of t-shirt material (poly/cotton blend). One full of wool/heavy silk/linen. One of flower prints. One of other prints, including stripes, checks, etc. One of just white material; lace and satin and stuff like that. One of velvet and corduroy. One of other solids, including fleece, sweatshirt material, etc. I'm missing one, but I can't remember what it contains offhand.

I should weigh the containers and see how many pounds of fabric I own. And then I think, after I buckle down and finish organizing the basement, I will concentrate on using some of it. After all, it is replacable, is it not?

The funny thing is that I've always had fabric. Ever since I "inherited" Mom's huge containers full of fabric, I've had bags and bags and bags in my room. It has never been organized before. I'm hoping that organizing it will make it easier to work with. :)

More later...

Comments

Popular Posts