Every once in a while, I'd start to get frantic...

I'd see that someone made a sale somewhere, or submitted something to an anthology that looks interesting. I'd see that so-and-so wrote three billion words last year, and I'd get the urge to beat them. Or someone would recommend a writing book, and I'd have to buy it--and follow the crowd. I'd parrot things I didn't really understand, because they did not work for me.

Back in May, I resigned my position at Forward Motion. I had been leaning towards the resignation for a while. Most of you know the story of the proverbial "last straw", and I'm not going to repeat it here, but check out May's archive if you want to learn more.

Three months later, I've found my pace again. Or, rather, I just realized it's never really been lost.

I have nothing to "prove" to anyone, after all. I comfortably wrote seven novels last year, and wrote an ungodly amount of words. This year, I've taken it a bit slower, revising and rewriting some of the WIPs on my harddrive; struggling with husband problems and trying to find a balance between Real Life and my Goal.

I think part of the problem might have been burnout. I think quite a bit of the problem was Real Life itself--fraught with uncertainties, shouting, lies, and utter hoplessness. I think part of the problem was believing I had to follow; to be a part of the "group" to have a chance at success.

I don't believe that anymore. You don't have to be part of the "group" to be a writer. You might struggle to finish a novel a year, or even one every two years--and that's okay. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm prolific. I accept that. That's me. I can whip out a publishable novel in a month, if I spend all my "spare" time writing. (And if the story is working well, I've been known to do just that.) You might spend hours on a single paragraph, struggling to make the words sing. Accept that. That's you.

I've said it before, many times: What works for me might not work for you. I think this should be a disclaimer in every writing book out there. If I ever finish my writing book, it's going to be in bold type on the first page.

Writing instruction books are full of advice on how to "find your voice", but they don't really tell you how to keep your voice. Sometimes, trying to "follow the crowd" does more damage than good. And most of the time, following the crowd only breeds cookie cutter books and cookie cutter authors.

Do you want to be a cookie cutter, or would you rather be unique?

Work at your own pace. Learn at your own pace. Find your voice, and then hold onto it with all your strength.

And never, ever be ashamed of your accomplishments, however small they may be.

(My semi-rant for the day.)

Comments

Popular Posts