I don't read the newsgroups often, but every once in a while I check them to see if I've missed anything since the last time I visited.

This time, I hit a nerve. Well, not much of a nerve, really, but it still twinges after all this time.

A couple of weeks or a month ago (I'm not sure) SFWA (the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America) revised their membership requirements. My only thought about this was that they now had a list of publishers that were accepted, something I've thought they should have had for quite some time. Before the List, the accepted publishers were shrouded in ambiguity with the declaration that if the publisher appeared in the Literary Marketplace, then you could inquire and see if it was considered a professional publisher.

Considering XLibris appeared there, I thought that was an odd requirement to begin with.

Magazines were a bit easier, but still ambiguous: Accepted publications that met certain requirements and paid 3 cents/word were considered professional publications.

Now they've raised the bar: Citing inflation, among other things, SFWA is considering upping the minimum to 5 cents/word for magazines. And their minimum advance for a novel seems to be $2,000. Which is all well and good for them. It's their organization; if they want to close ranks, that's fine with me.

After all, membership in SFWA has never been one of my goals.

But after hearing this, I thought about checking out some other organizations (pertaining to my other interests) that I might want to join to see what their qualifications were about membership.

The American Academy of Doll Artists (http://www.aadadoll.org/) actually looks like something I might want to join. They have no membership qualifications; just a self-imposed standing as Student, Apprentice, Professional, and Master. And it's only $50/year. I think I'd rate myself as apprentice; I'm certainly not a professional yet, and I think I passed Student status a couple of years ago.

The Crochet Guild of America (http://www.crochet.org) has a separate category for professional crocheters, but they have very clear guidelines (http://www.crochet.org/profdev/profform.html) and a basic membership is $35/year. And even then, their criteria seem to be quite clear. Notice how there's no per-word minimum for publications? Hmm.

While perusing writing organization websites, I see that most of them have very strict guidelines as to who can or cannot belong or call themselves professional.

One part of me wants to say this: a person can call themselves professional only if the major portion of their income is made by whatever it is they wish to call themselves professional at.

But then, my other question pertains to the monetary value of professionalism. If I have an independent income, and yet I publish regularly wouldn't I consider writing my profession? Does money really mean everything?

After all, there's nothing on the AADA site that says you can only be a professional if you sell your dolls for a certain price.

This really makes me think. And in my mind, publishing regularly means more to me than how much money I make from it. I want to write full-time, yes, but I don't have to achieve membership in SFWA to do that.

Someone with ten books out from small publishers is just as much of a professional as someone with one book out from, say, Baen. Actually, they might be more of a professional than the Baen person, because I honestly haven't been impressed by the quality of Baen Books' books these past few years.

But anyway. My thoughts and opinions, of course. Make of them what you will.


(Added later)

Oh, yeah. I really like the definitions at the AADA website. So, just for fun, I decided to paraphrase, using writing-related definitions (and adding one I think is missing):

Student--are developing writers just learning about the writing craft. They are often experimenting with a specific genre. Writers who are students are just beginning their journey. They might not have made submissions to any market, or may only have a couple of rejections under their belt.

Apprentice--are writers who have developed a high level of quality in their work. They are regularly submitting, and are receiving either minor acceptances or encouraging rejection letters from their selected markets.

Journeymen (or women)--are writers who are making regular sales to their selected markets, and who receive occassional fan letters about their work. They might have contracted novels to write, or at least have publisher interest in their work. They are starting to have a little bit of name recognition.

Professional--are writers who conduct themselves in a manner befitting their chosen profession. They might be asked to be guests at conventions, or speak at writers' groups. They are regularly selling their work, and consider (here's where the income comes in) writing to be a large portion of their disposable income.

Master--are writers who publish regularly, have name recognition, and who conduct themselves professionally. They are able to consider writing their sole income.

Obviously, I'd be at Journeyman level, but Master level is definitely something to aspire to. :)

Comments

Popular Posts