A true story:

A long, long, long time ago, I had this dream. In this dream, I had gotten up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, when I noticed that my reflection wasn't exactly my reflection anymore.

It was still me, but an older me. She had on a blue dress, and had long curly hair. Still wearing glasses, of course. I stood there, dumbstruck, at this older image of me, then listened when she began to speak.

She told me that the current WIP that I had struggled so hard on would get published, and that I should not give up, because I would get my books published. She told me that no matter what I thought, everything would turn out okay, and to always believe in myself and my abilities.

And then her voice morphed into the news, because my alarm had just gone off and I had to get up for work.

That was many years ago. I don't remember the exact date, but I remember the soft, wedgewood blue of that dress, and how that other me reassured me that night.

Two weeks ago, I went to Goodwill and found that blue dress. It's silk; button down and very comfortable. It's fast becoming my favorite piece of clothing.

I wonder if, sometime soon, I'll have a dream where I stare into my bathroom mirror while wearing that dress and see a younger me.

I already know what I'll tell her, after all. And I'm looking forward to having that dream.

Comments

Popular Posts