Got past 29k last night. Not as much, but I did go to a coworker's house for dinner last night, and then on to her friend's house to look at her computer.

Tonight's my writer's group meeting. I might actually make it there, although I'm not that fond of two evenings out. Which brings me to another point entirely...

I work 40-hours a week, with approximately an hour travel time to and from work. I get a 30 minute lunch. I do write at lunch most of the time, but I rarely get more than 500 words.

I try to consider time at home writing time, when my time is not caught up with fixing supper, laundry, and other household stuff. So any nights out cut into my 'other job.' On average, I probably get an hour to an hour and a half of writing time a night. Sometimes more (the 3k evening), sometimes less. (This is weekdays, not weekends.)

There are plenty of things vying for my time at home, among them knitting, Ethan, the computer, and household stuff. So I have to fit in writing time when I can (I'm usually upstairs by 8:30, 9pm) and make it a priority every night. Sometimes that isn't possible, but most times it is. And while I have no set wordcount per day anymore, I do try to get something written every day.

If you want your writing to go somewhere, then you have to make it a priority. You have to discipline yourself and write. Maybe not every day--not everyone can do that--but at least have some sort of schedule or wordcount that you want to achieve when you sit down to write.

Sometimes it's hard to get away from life so you can work on something that's important to you. But if you never work on it, you'll never take that first step towards publication, or whatever you're aiming for.

Just a thought. :)

Comments

Popular Posts