No updates today? I wasn't slacking!

I did get through the last boxes.099999999999999999 (Misty says hello.) I had every intention of sorting through yard sale stuff this afternoon, but my afternoon was taken up by a bit of an emergency.

See, I had noticed Hildy was out this morning, and playing around in her cage. Which sometimes happens (hedgehogs are usually noctural, though.) Well, I had intended to clean out her cage, so when I went to get her, I found out why she was awake during the day.

Fleas.

The poor thing had fleas all over her. I'm not sure how long they've been on her, because I swear I just checked her out a day ago and she was fine. However, I couldn't quite leave her to wallow in fleas, so I gave her a bath.

She hated it. I'm surprised I didn't get bit, but she was actually quite well-behaved, for a cranky hedgehog. I hosed her down and brushed her off and used almost a whole bottle of Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellant (I figured it couldn't hurt--and she smelled good afterwards anyway.) Then I rushed upstairs to see what kind of flea products I could use on a hedgehog.

Since time was of the essence--I didn't want her to suffer anymore--I figured Pamida might have what I needed. Well, I was wrong. They didn't have anything. And I didn't really want to drive to the Bethel Feed Mill if I could find a place in Georgetown that carried decent pet supplies, since Georgetown doesn't have a Feed Mill.

I vaguely remembered seeing a sign on the way to Mt. Orab on 68 that said something about pet supplies, so I gambled and drove that way. Thank goodness I went, because this little store had exactly what I was looking for. I grabbed it up, came home, sprayed her, and hoped for the best. (She's still very pissed off at me.)

She's in a 20 gallon plastic container at the moment (with the lid off, of course, what kind of person do you think I am?) since I had to clean her cage with chlorox and I'm not putting her back in it until it airs out. I put paper towels down, gave her a few Newman's Own dog treats (I think she actually ate them, too) and made sure she has a place to hide and plenty of water. (Oh, and just in case you're wondering, the cats leave her alone.)

At the moment, she's still waterlogged, but responding well. I'm going to leave her alone overnight, and then see if she has more fleas in the morning. The ones I see on the paper towels are definitely dead.

Poor kid. She's been doing really well, too.

At least I did get all the yard sale stuff (except for the clothing) onto the front porch. We're getting up really early tomorrow morning to sort and price and try to figure out where to put the table and other things we're jury-rigging up for display.

Comments

Popular Posts